I've Been Corrupted (A Cob Story)

(34 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by toobfreak
  • Latest reply from toobfreak
  1. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I know they are around here somewhere, but I will be damned if I can find my regular pipe cleaners! I have tons of bristle, but I cannot find a single regular fluffy cleaner. So I went online to order ten more bags of them. Hey, while I'm there, might as well get a 19 oz. tin MB Virg. No. 1. I've been without the stuff for ages and it can be a great sweet, mouth-watering smoke both alone or mixed with other things.

Then I said Oh what the heck! All this talk of Mixture 79 by so many people, I've never tried the stuff, can licorice or anisette really make a good blend? It is just strange enough that it might be worth a try as a desert smoke as I do like licorice candy and liquor, so, I bought a couple ounces. I have lost my mind.

Then all resistance to the inevitable finally collapsed around me, I've never like corncob pipes (never tried one either), I always considered them super-cheap non-committal throwaway pipes for classless people with no social graces, I mean--- WHO walks around in public with a piece of corncob in their mouth? Look at that guy! But so many people here have raved and raved about them, their dryness and coolness, like a meer, and MM has elevated them to the high end, I need another pipe like a hole in my head but I simply cannot resist not trying one with all I've read here by so many really-satisfied people so I just picked up a Legend bent (almost went for the General) and I look forward to trying it out.

My greatest fear is that all these cob people will be right and I will find my briars sitting collecting a lot of dust as I buy up a collection of MM cobs! We shall see in a few days.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. lonefrog615

lonefrog615

Login to Send PM

I can assure you that cobs, though wonderful, will never replace the tactile and visual joy of briar. That being said, I smoke one nearly every weekday. They are my work pipes

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've Been Corrupted Enlightened (A Cob Story)

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

You will find that they all have turns. Work pipes, maybe, but some blends just sing a bit better in a cob.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toobfreak, I think you'll find that cob to be a great addiction to your hobby/habit.

There has only been one tobacco that I've smoked in a cob that does better in a Briar and that's GLP Westminster. But that Briars stem cracked because its a cheap piece of crap basket knock off, what do you expect? It's the second one that I've acquired from the local B&M, that's had a stem issue. So, Westminster, for the time being goes back to the cob, what a let down. I don't smoke heavy Lats all the time so a $200+ Briar isn't happening for Latakia bombs around here. Oh well.

I do believe cobs reveal more flavors, in the case I think I liked the way this particular briar hid certain notes in Westminster. See you around the pm toobfreak!

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can assure you that cobs, though wonderful, will never replace the tactile and visual joy of briar.

I'm sure. I love a beautifully grained and finished briar! And the smoke can be sublime.

some blends just sing a bit better in a cob

That's what I'm thinking and counting on! I've come to the conclusion that a good meer is the ultimate smoking pipe, a briar is the most beautiful, but a cob has more than a basket full of meer-like qualities , and in a light and very affordable pipe. Can't wait to try it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

a good meer is the ultimate smoking pipe

Not if you try to smoke one outside in the cold!

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do believe cobs reveal more flavors

Would you guys say that cobs ghost easier or about the same as other pipes? And can they be un-ghosted? Do they take a salt bath?

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not if you try to smoke one outside in the cold!

For me, a pipe is a leisure activity. I only smoke outside in pleasant weather, sitting in a rocker where I can sit back and enjoy the fresh air and quiet of nature. I guess you're saying that meers don't take to extremes of temperature stress! Keeee-rraaaack!

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last time I smoked a cob outside my office I had several different people stop me and say "I didn't think people actually smoked corn cob pipes"

I think they have their place particularly for stuff I'd be afraid of ghosting my briars with but for me they will never replace a good briar. Part of my problem is the diameter of their bowls are too small. I personally prefer wider bowls for latakia based blends.

They also come in handy when fishing and doing outdoors shit where I don't give a crap if I ruin the pipe.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. cynicismandsugar

Jeffrey Deal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last time I smoked a cob outside my office I had several different people stop me and say "I didn't think people actually smoked corn cob pipes"

Cobs do tend to get mixed responses. One of my oldest daughter's friends -- a neighbor girl -- saw we smoking a Mark Twain cob one summer evening, and later went on to comment to my daughter, "I only thought old men and hillbillies actually smoked those things."

But, then, a couple of weeks back, I was walking downtown, enjoying my Missouri Meerschaum freehand, and admiring all the holiday lights, when my daughter, accompanied by a couple of her I.B. buddies, happened to run into me. The oldest, a stylish young man, then told my daughter, "Wow, I have to say: that pipe your dad was smoking last night -- if I'd ever had an urge to smoke anything, it would have been that pipe. It smelled great, and looked so classy." Of course, my daughter laughed at him, because, well, she's my daughter.

Love them or hate them, corn cobs do have their place.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

For me, cobs are for experiencing ghosting mixtures. To keep my preciousss, there I said it, briars from becoming cheap perfumed streetwalkers. Briar and meers are the way to go as cobs give that slight plaster and burnt cob taste to tobaccos.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. stvalentine

stvalentine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have more briars than I ever need but somtimes they can be too "serious" for me. Too precious and lacking a certain kind of "lightness" that I find in cobs. With a cob you can enjoy the pure business of pipe-smoking without any distraction. I mean you can even drop it without spoiling your complete day!

Meanwhile I have a dozen cobs and five more coming - I am truly doomed....

"Ride it like you stole it!"

The Old Swede
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations, more need to get over the stigma. People burn them out somehow but I think they might be spitefully smoking the thing to death. They're great pipes, I've dropped/kicked them, lost them in bushes, left in cars, smoked them in snowstorms and other weather, no worse for wear. They look beat within a week or so but never much worse and it's character or whatever. Smoking a cob in public has the effect of eliciting remarks, usually something like "hey, a corn cob!" or "corn cob, cool!", it's not too bad. I like all my pipes and have Briars I would never trade/sell, Meers, and Cobs too. Used ones can be cleaned up and some of the old cobs are really nice. Here's a MM with hardwood plug, bamboo shank, and a vulcanite stem. It has a 3/4 inch chamber over 1 1/2 inches deep. Smokes wonderfully.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Some of mine, and love them all!

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

papapauly

Login to Send PM

I love my cobs! I have 15 cobs in my collection with many briar and even a pearwood. One thing I have found is Missouri meerschaum cobs and burley tobacco's is a match made in heaven. every morning I start the day with a massive cup of coffee and a corn cob filled with Prince Albert. I typically smoke several burley filled pipes in a day and they are all in a cob, I use briars daily as well for when I get the urge for a dunhill or hearth and home type blend. But as many on here have said, they do last and if you treat them with care and respect them the same way we do briar a cob will last many many years. As for being in public I have never really had a reaction from anybody other than "that smells so good!" My going out in public blend is 1-q with BCA and a touch of picyuane and I am told it smells like cookies. Enjoy those cobs everybody!

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

but some blends just sing a bit better in a cob.

..nuf said

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

as cobs give that slight plaster and burnt cob taste to tobaccos

Well, don't many briars have a steep break-in as well? Some taste horrible the first few bowls. I would think any taste you mention above would quickly dispel once you get that bowl cooked and a little cake going.

Some of mine, and love them all!

Nice grouping!

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cobs are great. I have a bunch of them for all occasions and they never let me down. Love my briars, but love my cobs too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipe (after having not smoked a pipe in over 35 yrs.) was / is a Missouri Meerschaum Legend I picked up at the local drug store about 3 yrs ago.
    I was attempting to circumvent the inhalation of burnt cigarette paper.
    It worked! AND, I've discovered the world of pipes and tobacco, not just nicotine for the habit.
    When you think about it, cobs are probably one of the first and most effective bowl materials and are quintessentially North American.
    What could be more 'organic' than a reed stemmed cob with a bowl of Kentucky Burley or sweet Virginia leaf?
    Old Dominion Cobs

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. grue

grue

Login to Send PM

I'm smoking Solani's Aged Burley Flake in my MM Patriot right now and it can't get better than this.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoking Orlik Dark Strong in a Rob Roy cob. Absolutely Fabulous.

Once broke in(4 to 5 bowls) cobs seem to have no issues with a corn cob taste. The naked cobs taste different, but the plastered taste fine. Briars seem to darken a tobacco to my palate. Which is great! But that's my assessment.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm smoking Classic Burley Kake in a cob right now. Good now, good moustache note later

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love my corn cobs more than my briars.

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Hal O the Wynd in a cob!

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just braved the cold outside for a hike. I rubbed out two coins of Mac Baren Club Blend into a pile of Peter Stokkebye Amsterdam and loaded the mess into a very used bent MM Country Gentleman with MM's Freehand vulcanite stem. Well into the bowl, I completely forgot it was cold out.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

catjockey

Login to Send PM

Cobs are all I own. I like 'em. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the juxtaposition of smoking high quality, expensive tobacco in a pipe that cost less than the tobacco, lol. Further, whether us dudes want to admit it or not, we are 'accessorizing' when we buy pipes, including how it 'looks' on us. I ain't purdy enough, nor own the appropriate clothing, to accessorize with anything other than cobs. Add to that Mark Twain is about my favorite author, pipe smoking aside, and I spent my previous decade, that of my 30's, as a whitewater raft guide, and well, Huck and Tom with their cob pipes on the river, etc., lol.

I made a decision, early on, that The Universe had given me ample indication that I am to be a cob smoker, and to deal with that fact and stay away from briar, so I listened an obliged, lol.

I like my cobs, and actually wish serious pipe makers would take the cob bowl seriously to give me more options than just MM or customizing my own (which I don't mind - personalizing my cobs). In fact, I'm loading up a cob (a Country Gentleman that has been ridden hard and put away wet and still holding up just fine) with some Solani 779: English Luxury Mixture (Solani 633: VaPer Flake just barely lost out for getting loaded up) and getting ready to fire it up.

There are definitely some absolutely stunning and artistically beautiful briar pipes being made, however, and I do wonder if I'll buck The Universe's decision for me at some point in the future ...

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I like my cobs, and actually wish serious pipe makers would take the cob bowl seriously to give me more options

There are a number of cob artisans such as Riccardo Santia.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

catjockey

Login to Send PM

Just as an example of how good a cob can look, this is a MM Mark Twain turned upside down and into a volcano. Not mine, saw it on another forum. Tell me that ain't a good looking pipe that can hold its own against a good looking briar:

chasingembers:

I've seen a couple Riccardo Santia pipes. They are definitely nice. Thanks.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Love that volcano! Even MM's stock special editions are fine pipes to behold.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Login to Send PM

Some really wise folks start with a cob and pretty much never leave.

For the rest of us, we had to putter around a bit with other offerings before we understood and appropriated
    the beauty and simplicity that is a cob pipe.

When we hear critics scoff of the cob, we are able to smile, knowing that they have yet a little further to go in the journey to pipe enlightenment.

You have made a brave and wonderful step forward with your order.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. stvalentine

stvalentine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Universe had given me ample indication that I am to be a cob smoker

I am a born cob smoker that has got sidetracked by briars.....

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

papapauly

Login to Send PM

K find the main reason I keep briar pipes on my shelf is bowl size. I occasionally like a deep billiard full bent briar simply because it lasts longer than most of my cobs. Granted my largest cob is a country gentleman, I have yet to get the MacArthur but someday I'm sure I will grab one

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I have been smoking the bejesus out of my MM cob these past few days, throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it and it hasn't disappointed me yet. Fewer relights and smokes right down to the bottom. Easy to smoke, easy to clean. And what amazes me is that not only do flavors come through really well, but when I empty the pipe and run my pinky around the inside wall to clean the cake, it is so bone dry!

Wonder if someone makes an aftermarket kit where you can slip a briar-like cover over the outside to make it /look/ like an expensive briar!

I could impress my friends how good my $200.00 pipe smokes then-- Waa laa! slip the cover off--- surprise! $5.00 pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jfred, supdog, redglow, elpfeife, ben88, trubka2, jaytex969