Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:   

Ivarsson Broken Shank Repair + New Stem (pic heavy)

(32 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by georged
  • Latest reply from shaintiques
  1. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two kinds of pipe rescues are the most satisfying: 1) Getting a memory-laden family heirloom back up and running; and 2) Keeping a heavily smoked, long-loved "personal friend" pipe alive.

This project was one of the latter. A high-end collectable piece that instead of sitting in a case for much of its life as many four-figure pipes do, was a workhorse favorite and smoked regularly for many years.

When an accident occurred and the shank snapped off the bowl, the owner decided he might as well have the stem replaced also. Besides showing considerable tooth wear, the vulcanite was "blooming" orange specks. (Not all that strange or rare... there was a large batch of vulcanite rods made in the early and mid 2000's which were "infected" with some sort of inclusion/contamination, but it was not visible at the time. The spots appear several years after the rod is used.)

----------

Here are the gluing steps. Opaque-black pigmented T-88 epoxy was used to eliminate a translucent line. Both pieces were coated, the join was made, and a weight was placed on the end of the shank as an improvised "clamp":

----------

Stem time. As close a dimensional match as possible is usually the "done thing" with high end pipes, and this one was no different:

----------

And here is the end result. (The almost microscopic glue line was dressed and textured to invisibility and the entire stummel re-finished.)

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. rhoadsie

R

Login to Send PM

Wow! I really enjoyed the pictorial of this amazing work.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Very cool.
    I love the shot of the beginning tenon work - same flared tenon base!

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice results

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, beautiful job George! Thanks for the pics of the process.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Made my morning coffee really enjoyable, it lives for another day.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

Wonderful work!

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is just pure awesomeness packed in a can of amazing.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

George, you've shown some hair raising work in the past, but this is surely some of your finest.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very well done George, I'm sure the owner is a happy camper. I think I know the answer to this question, but I assume a tube to re-enforce the shank was not needed due to the surface area glued, and the fact that the epoxy is probably stronger than the wood, with very little chance of failing?

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe and a first class repair George, thank you for sharing the pics.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent work. It's nice to see what is possible, what can be repaired. I have thrown away a few very nice pipes, because I just assumed that broken briar meant that if it was fixed it would have all sorts of issues. It's nice to learn that, that is not the case.
    Thank you for sharing. I'm always learning something new from you.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now I fear less dropping my favorite and having the shank snap off..... My last three drops fortunately snapped off only the tenon.... But I will try to not count on my luck.

Gorgeous, George!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I know the answer to this question, but I assume a tube to re-enforce the shank was not needed due to the surface area glued, and the fact that the epoxy is probably stronger than the wood, with very little chance of failing?

You are right on both counts. As long as there is sufficient surface area---meaning not a true pencil shank like a Bing---no ss tube is needed. T-88 was formulated specifically to bond wood-framed experimental aircraft (!) and is ridiculously strong when properly applied and cured. Far stronger than any wood. (when a join is deliberately broken in testing the failure never happens along the glue line).

Why an ss tube for pencil shanks, then? It isn't needed for strength per se, but to shield the wood near the glue line from softening over time from smoking. The glue line causes moisture to migrate/wick slightly for a millimeter or so around it, which after many years weakens the wood fibers themselves. This wicking presents no problems whatsoever for normal-sized and up shanks, but presents one of those "better safe than sorry" situations with dealing with the really slender stuff. Sleeving such pipes can't hurt, in other words.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful work!

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PS to my original post:

The "blooming speckle" ebonite was NOT made by anyone associated with the Ivarsson family, or anyone in the PipeWorld. There are a handful of ebonite (vulcanite) manufacturers in the RegularWorld, and their product is sold to anyone who wants to buy it. I've seen stems made from that bad batch many times, up to a $7K Tokutomi (meaning its ten-years-ago-price).

How everyone involved got burned was the defect wasn't visible at the time of manufacture. It took a very long time---years---to manifest itself.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know how you do it georged, but you do. Great work again! The stem looks so thin in final filed shot of it before polishing. You must have nerves of steel to be able to do that?

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. mattguss

mattguss

Login to Send PM

Spectacular, museum quality repair on my good friend's pipe. Thank you for doing it and showing your photos in process. Magnificent work!

Seattle Pipe Club
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Gorgeous job, George! I was curious about the ss sleeve as well. Thanks for answering that.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

cally454

Login to Send PM

Seeing the first pic, after shedding a tear I was thinking this outta be interesting. Absolutely best repair I've seen. Congrats on a fantastic job

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nana Ivarsson is the second daughter of Lars and granddaughter of Sixten Ivarsson.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WOW

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Besides my great admiration for a job very well done this thread has inspired me.

To bust my ass to make sure I never drop a pipe again.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

George, you have really knocked that one out of the park. That is an amazing repair. You just blow my mind when you share these projects. Thank you!

And if Matt knows who owns it, chances are I have seen that pipe at a Seattle Pipe Club meeting. lol.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You are not kidding me with this story. You really went out and bought another Ivarsson to replace this one with didn't you? A wonderful job, George.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And you make it look and sound so easy, which comes with knowing what you're doing. I'm glad this masterpiece had your expert care. Now it's ready for another eighty or 100 years.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every time I post one of these peek-behind-the-curtain threads I'm delighted anew at how many people actually care about fixing pipes. (It says something about the depth of the pipe/human bond, I think, that we feel something for ALL pipes, not just our own.)

And also as always, thanks for the kind words. It's truly an honor to be entrusted with working on your stuff.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

moriarty

Login to Send PM

George, you really seem to be a perfectionist. I especially love seeing your stems. Looking at the light reflections shows that the lines are immaculate and symmetrical, and the edges are extremely crisp. No bumps, no waves. A lot of love (and time and skill) must go into this. It is easy to see why your clients entrust you with such valuable and treasured pieces.

Thanks for showing this. Please keep doing so.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After looking at the original post's work photos again, I realized that the white background in the side-by-side shots of the finished stem was too much for the light meter of my cheapie camera, which resulted in black blobs without detail.

So, here they are again, shot in my cheapie light box where conditions are a little better. (I wanted to switch out the crappy ones for these, but this forum's Ruthless Galactic Overlord Subroutine of Edit Prevention prevented it.)

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What can I say that hasn't been said already. The sky is blue. The sun is hot, and George can fix anything. Amazing.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  31. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always enjoy your threads with pics and descriptions George.
    What you do is a combination of craftsmanship and artistry that we enthusiasts most certainly appreciate.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes thanks for posting George, outstanding job as usual.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, cshubhra, agnosticpipe, paulfg, malicev, cortezattic, railman, sumusfumus, jaytex969, jerrynyc, catyrpelius, jiminks, olkofri, warren, pitchfork, ssjones, ashdigger