PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Ive been watching crimson tide on AMC tonight, smoking a pipe. Ive been off pipes for a while, been going on cigars and a brief stint on cigs (not the best choice) but since I went back to pipes, Ive been trying really hard to pack it right, and keep it lit. I couldnt though, I used bto be able to smoke a whole bowl with maybe one relight...maybe one. It would also last an hour or two per bowl. But I could not do it anymore, I couldnt keep it lit, I couldnt get it to last, nothing....
Then I stopped trying, I lit my pipe and started watching the movie, not really paying attention. Im still lit, one relight so far, and the movie is almost over. What the heck haha, another pipe smoking mystery

vinvin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
I think it's a matter of not trying... I'm a novice but I feel that perhaps in our attempts to keep it lit we kind of produce a self fulfilling prophecy by saying "I can't keep this damn thing lit"... Also I think that perhaps it's when we relax that our breathing and smoking patterns just become natural and so it ends up staying lit...
just my 0.02 haha don't shoot me I'm still a beginner haha

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Did you ever read Zen and the Art of Archery, by Eugen Herrigel? He makes the same point - it is when you no longer have to pay attention to what you are doing that it succeeds. You don't need to try so hard! It's not a competition. Relax, enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.