Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

It's Official - Scotland is The Third Best Country in the World to Visit !!

(23 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by flakyjakey
  • Latest reply from flakyjakey
  1. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This week 'Lonely Planet' asserted that after Brazil (you won't get a decent pint there!) and Antarctica (you won't be able to smoke there for fear of environmental damage!) Scotland is the best place in the world to visit in 2014. However they may not have been aware of Peck's crucial information on Barcelona !! LOL

They are right - we have wonderful bars where you can smoke a pipe outside, restaurants as good as anywhere in the world and welcoming people, in kilts !! Edinburgh, rightly, is said to be 'more Gothic' than Transylvania, so if you are planning on visiting Scotland please send me a PM ad I will give you the low down - the stuff the tourists never find out about.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Awesome. I'd love to go...maybe next fall after I'm done with my Master's...

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. sfsteves

sfsteves

Well Aged

Login to Send PM

Third best? ... wow! ... for me, it'd be second and then only because Ireland is where my ancestry is from and it is therefore at the top of my list ... I'd love to visit Scotland ...

SteveS
    de gustibus non est disputandum

"If there is no smoking in Heaven, I shall not go." - Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

I know three people from Scotland, two from Edinburgh and one from Glasgow. I have no idea what they're saying, but I love listening to them!

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I spent 2 weeks in Scotland in the summer of 2009, mostly in the Isles and Western Highlands. Lovely place. Only person I had any trouble understanding was a Glaswegian who was a very nice and helpful lad to a lost tourist.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Jud, I'm glad you enjoyed it, although I would not advise anyone to come here for the weather ! lol Next time, and I hope there will be one, you should consider visiting Edinburgh; for many good reasons it is the most popular tourist destination in Scotland (second only to London, in the UK as a whole).

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Flakey - I vacationed in Scotland in 2008. It was the best vacay of my life so far. I went with a buddy of mine, for golf and some debauchery! We started in Edinburgh, where we found my favorite golf course worldwide, the Braid Hills #1. I scored my first birdie ever there, and built a trophy case commemmorating that as well as my birdie at St. Andrews later that week. We spent a few good nights hanging at the pubs/clubs around cowgate. We met many beautiful women from all over the world and I was lucky enough to have some nice memorable interactions! I wish I had some pictures to post with me but they are at home.
    One night was especially interesting. We started at the White Hart, where we had dinner and took in some local music. I met a German broad there, who fell in love with me(seriously!). We finished the night at Espionage, where I met Genevieve from Canada(who pronounced her name Zhen-vee-ev), the most beautiful woman whose company I had the pleasure of to date. We couldn't find a cab at 3am so we started walking. About halfway home, I realized I did not have the key to our bed and breakfast hotel! We tried calling, banging on the door with no response. Mind you we are both quite inebriated at this point. We are standing outside, the sun is starting to rise(at 430am) and my buddy looks at our room on the 2nd floor and then looks at the tree in front of the house and gives a "Hmmmm." We climbed the tree and got into our room through the window! The funny thing is, this is really old school locks with the big key, you actually have to unlock the door with the key from both sides! When we wake up in the morning and realize we can't get out of our room. I call the front desk and say nonchalantly "We got locked out of our room so we climbed in through the window, can you come let us out?" The person says "Sure, no problem....What???" I found the key at the White Hart. I have pics to corroborate this story, I'll try to post later.
    After Edinburgh we travelled to St. Andrews where we also had some excellent adventures. We played 156 holes of golf in about a week. Oh yeah, the weather? The Scots that week were complaining that there was too much sun! We got wet once, and when I say wet, I mean barely damp. I'm hoping to get back again, and if I do, I'll make sure to look you up.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@sam, wonderful story ! Edinburgh is a great place to sow wild oats, and I don't just mean porridge ! lol I'm not a golfer but I live 5 mins from the Braid Hills.

'Espionage'?? Jeez, my son used to frequent that pick-up joint !! LOL.

There are some fantastic pubs around the Cowgate/Grassmarket area. Do you recall any names? My favourite is Cowgate's 'Bannerman's', in the very depths of Edinburgh's Old Town - we are talking the 1600s here.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

We went to almost every pub in Cowgate. It was so much fun we kept going back there. IIRC, we may have went to Bannerman's. Is that the one with the pool table with really small balls, low ceilings, stone walls, arched passthroughs to different rooms?

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I just looked it op on Google. That's the one! I met a dark-haired beauty there that night, Sabrina IIRC. Unfortunately, there was a big fight outside and we ended up getting separated and I missed out on that one!

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. jkenp

jkenp

Login to Send PM

Hey I've got a motto for your tourist board:

SCOTLAND -- almost as good to visit as a pile of ice.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I’m Anglo-Scottish so somewhat biased but I think I can safely say that Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful, fascinating and culturally sophisticated cities in the world and should be the number one destination for anyone visiting the UK. I know that if ever I was wealthy enough to live anywhere I chose, it would be Edinburgh, regardless of the weather.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. tamer291

tamer291

Login to Send PM

Flakey Scotland is on my "bucket list". I would love to visit.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@sam, yep it is a wonderful pub, in the bowels of "Auld Reekie", so named because of the pall of smoke that hung over the Old Town in the days of coal fires and the reason why in 1820 they started building the posh New Town!

@jkemp, you mean you would prefer it to Antarctica? Me too!

@scarborian, you are right. I came back here in 1990 and feel very privileged.

@tamer, I know a place in Edinburgh where you used to be able to buy a bucket of beer!

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. scottishjohn

scottishjohn

Login to Send PM

I have spent time more than once there.
    Would visit in a heart beat. Love it,
    love the people, the atmosphere, and
    the pubs. On one trip we camped/B&Bd all
    the way around and through the center for
    32 days and loved every moment of it!
    In my mind; a slice of heaven!

"I don't always smoke a pipe, but when I do I am even more interesting.
    .....................Keep smoking my friends..........................."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@scottishjohn, you are surely right: I hope you had good camping weather, but if you frequented the unsurpassed pubs you might not remember ! lol I presume from your moniker that you carry Scottish genes??

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd love to go some day, flaky! My wife and I are actually planning a trip to Europe in a couple of years, I might have to put Scotland on our list to visit.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. scottishjohn

scottishjohn

Login to Send PM

That is a good presumption. Name is Ian McDougal Patrick.
    Mother from McDougalls and Pattersons and father from the
    Patricks (Clan Lamont).

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@petes, you definitely should. I would personally ensure that Auld Reekie showed both of you a good time !! There is no welcome like the Scottish welcome, unless it is the Irish - and I am half Irish !! LOL

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@flaky, I have a little of both in me as well. McClure and Sampson, as well as Cunningham and Fowler from England. Throw in a little Cherokee and German along the way, and it's one hell of a mix that I am!

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@petes, I'm half Irish, one quarter Scottish and one quarter English - a good blend !!

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And a beautiful place it is. I have spent a fair bit of time in Edinburgh and love the look and feel of the place.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@peck, after 40 years, and more, I still love its 'look and feel'. I am very privileged to work and live in this city.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tobefrank