PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've come to the conclusion over the past couple of weeks that I'm just not able to handle high nicotine blends. Even some that most likely wouldn't consider to be high in nicotine can give me some troubles. Mostly upset stomach and heartburn so nothing major, but not fun effects none the less. I'm smoking Carter Hall right now and it's just a wonderful easy blend to enjoy during the week, so I'll likely stick with that for during the week and have my better blends on the weekends. That being said I haven't had CH for a few weeks and I'd forgotten how great this baccy is, simple and smooth with a pleasant aroma, so I'm not complaining too much.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
No shame in that. Smoke what you enjoy.
I'm puzzled, though. I thought that Carter Hall (which I like quite a lot) was mostly burley and that burley, on average, had a high nicotine compared with other tobaccos.
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Actually that's a good point, nit sure why it seems to be easy on my stomach, maybe just my body chemistry? I'd be interested in that answer as well

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Everyone's body chemistry is unique and is fundamental to how we react to anything we come in contact with. Many people have adverse reactions to a particular type of tobacco. It may be caused the original leaf used, something added as a casing or topping or even the curing process used. Your problem may be caused by the nicotine or it may be a reaction to something else that is common to all of the "high nicotine" blends that you've tried.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Don't feel bad I'm pretty much a nic wuss myself. Even University Flake can get me if I'm not careful. Just remember to smoke what you like and what agrees with your body chemistry.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm starting to wonder if the cognac in the Bagpipers Dream that I love is giving me some issues, it's a Virginia blend so I wouldn't think it's a high nic blend. Oh well, I know now how I react to it so I'll be sure to have that in the weekend when I know I have more time to take it easy with it and not have to worry if I need a nap!

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
A tobacco isn't fun if it turns you green. Smoke what you like and don't be afraid to try new things in small bowls. The only thing that I seem to have a problem with are blends with a significant amount of dark-fired. Whoa, that stuff is strong. I do have some 5 Brothers on the way, so I'll see what that is like.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 w/Roth, I always smoke the high Nic blends like SG 1792,

SG Bracken and Peterson's IF in a small bowl, taking my time

and having some sweet tea by my side makes for an outstanding

smoke...that being said there are thousands of lower Nic blends

out there, so no worries in finding others to try
I always enjoy a good Nic kick in the AM before bfast w/Turkish

coffee to really get the motor running ;-)

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
On the Carter Hall, it may be higher in nicotine; however, it may not effect you as much because of the speed with which you smoke it. Of course this is just a thought because I have never had the privilege of have a pipe session with you. It is awesome that you are figuring out what you like to smoke and are smoking what you like.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I believe I am slowing down to a more "proper" cadence, still puffing a little fast I'm sure. But I've been using Kashmir's clenching technique and that seems to keep the burn to a nice smoulder vs a full on inferno. No tongue bite at all, which I used to get occasionally, so I'm thinking the cadence isn't a big issue (although far from perfect). I just think that I may have been smoking too much lately and perhaps the dryness of the tobacco is something to watch more closely. It's an adventure and I'm learning as I go, only 6 months in to the hobby but loving it (some might say too much!!)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I think even the most hardened nic fiend has their limits. Having a low tolerance may mean less dependence - so I would see it as a positive.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
+1 Six
I buy most of my tobacco in bulk 1-2oz each. That way I don't feel bad if I don't like it, or it doesn't like me.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's what makes me think I have to slow down on the smoking a bit and take a day or three off, the blends giving me some troubles I have been smoking for months with no issues. Oh well, couple days off and I'll appreciate it more I suppose. And yes Six, I agree, I'm glad that I have low tolerance for nicotine so that I don't have those cravings.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
I have found so far it doesn't matter what i smoke, if it's not sipped VERY slowly I'm in for an early night. :crying:

Dec 24, 2012
That's why they make aromatics - for pipe chicks and nancy guys who can't handle nicotine. Same reason they sell Pina Coladas. :nana:

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
You'll never catch me smokin' somethin' with honey or chocolate in it, but I like a high nicotine

tobacco out on the lake. I puff less, but the breeze keeps the pipe lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.