PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings all,
Just got this email from Milan Tobacconists. The rumors are true. Say goodbye to some of your favorites.
Middleton Pipe Tobacco [Excludes Cigars] Customers: We were recently advised by our distributor that the John Middleton Co. has discontinued the following blends effective immediately: Cherry Blend - 12 oz. Canister; Gold & Mild - 1 1/2 oz. Pouch; Kentucky Club Continental, Mixture & Regular Blends - 12 & 14 oz. Canisters and 1 1/2 oz. Packet; Prince Albert - 1 1/2 oz. Tin Style Packet; Royal Comfort - 1 1/2 oz. Pouch; Sugar Barrel - 12 oz. Canister; Walnut - 12 oz. Canister; and Wine Berry - 1 1/2 oz. Pouch. Milan Tobacconists has been given the green light to inform our customers that a major player in the pipe tobacco industry is working on comparable blends, although a release date is not known at this time. Please feel free to contact us by email [customercare@milantobacco.com] or phone [877-70MILAN] with any questions, concerns, or if you are interested in our recommendations on potential replacement blends in the interim.
This is what happens when a cigarette company (Phillip Morris) takes over a pipe tobacco company. They just don't understand the premium/specialty side of the business. Nor do they care to. Just cigarettes and now E-cigs. They are only concerned with the bottom line, period. Sad. I knew this would happen eventually.
Hopefully the blends can be replicated faithfully, perhaps even improved.
CACooper

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Well damn... I haven't tried Walnut or Sugar Barrel.
At least the Prince survived. Sort of.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
4noggins had sugar barrel, I got a 12oz container. I suspect they will continue to carry smaller quantities of some of these blends - Cherry blend used to be one of the top selling blends in the country.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
All of the OTC's are owned by either Middleton or Scandinavian Group/Lane right?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Anti-smoking nazis on the one side, and cigarette companies on the other. And we pipe smokers are getting squeezed in the middle. So who's the bigger threat now?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
This is what happens when a cigarette company (Phillip Morris) takes over a pipe tobacco company. They just don't understand the premium/specialty side of the business. Nor do they care to. Just cigarettes and now E-cigs. They are only concerned with the bottom line, period. Sad. I knew this would happen eventually.

That's what happens when you have 87,100 full-time employees.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Exactly Cobguy, I'm heading to Buffalo next weekend and I'm planning on loading up on some blends. I have an entire cheer leading team of parents to carry back over the border for me. 4 or 5 tubs of CH should do the trick

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Looks like it's time to start scouting out similar blends. Glad I got a chance to try Walnut and KC before they disappeared.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Peck I'm going to compare the price over shipping plus the risk of ordering so much over multiple orders. Anyone know if I can have an order delivered to my hotel in buffalo? That way I get online shipping and no delivery fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.