PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
i am currently at college in Pennsylvania and trying to find time to get a relaxing bowl in, but my problem is that i am at school and last night it was -5 with wind chill and since i am here i cant smoke inside and if i step outside my nose freezes making smoking some what unpleasant. im thinking about picking up a cheap charcoal BBQ to build a fire in to give me a little warmth but this got me thinking what do yall do when its to cold out side to smoke? do you just smoke inside? just curious.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
In Chicago here, so I understand cold. I fortunately have a back porch off the kitchen which is enclosed on 2 sides with double hung windows, but the wall facing the backyard is only screens. It does a good enough job of keeping the wind out, but still is cold. I find that if it is close to 20F or higher I'm OK, other than that I need to periodically pop inside the house to warm up. Not smoking the pipe inside, thanks to the wife and 2 daughters.
I'm desparately trying to get off the cigs (down to 3-5 per day). The family is tolerant of my one pipe and for that I'm grateful. I'm only having one in the evening on weeknights; adding 1 or 2 during the afternoon on the weekends.

Jan 3, 2011
Because I don't smoke inside my home, when it gets below 30 I typically resort to smoking in the car, or I visit the local tobacconist. The good news is that spring is not all that far off. Hope it warms up soon.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
Suck it up fshu2. Just put on some warm gloves and a good togue.

Since you are currently at college, I'm going to scold you for making the most common grammatical error on the internet. Learn the difference between to, too and two. Yall should no the difference. :wink:

Happy puffin' in the cold.

directshot

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2010
OK.... everyone to my place tonight here in SoCal. Weather is nice, 76deg here at 1pm, tonight will be a mild 47deg (maybe).
Bring your pipes and tobacco and I supply whatever you like to drink and toss on the Bar-B-Q.
For those of you in school tomorrow just don't blame me if your late to class.
With all kidding aside, do wish you had some of our weather to warm up with.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Buy a balaclava! I love mine, I use, or rather, used it, for biking before some asshat slashed my tires. Balaclavas are quite good at keeping one's face warm, and you can cover the nose whilst leaving the mouth exposed quite easily.
Anti...I certainly hope you're being facetious with, "Yall should no the difference." Because if you do not KNOW the difference betwixt no and know we're going to have to have some words...

It looks like you're joking, but one can never be certain on the interwebs.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
The Grammer Nazi is here...I believe its too instead of to..It's just TOO cold.
And I agree, I hate cold weather with the same intensity as I hate removing impacted feces from an Elephants Anal Cavity. 8O

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I too am an outdoor smoker who has to deal with (sort of) cold winters (south-western B.C., we drop below 0, but not far...). If you are able to smoke on your patio, bring out a small space heater, place it under your seat. Toss a blanket over your legs, and toastyness will ensue.
Of course, having a good toque (or balaclava, although it should be noted that you may be mistaken for a criminal, particularly if you are smoking street-side, blending into the bushes) goes a long long way towards keeping the internal body temperature up.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I just came in from a smoke on my back patio; it's -6 Celsius here in Newfoundland, but feels like -14. It's actually a calm, clear evening and I consider those warm and pleasant conditions compared to the freezing rain and snow we got over this past week. Needless to say I didn't go out much in that kind of weather, especially not with my pipe. Being dry, bundled up, sheltered from the wind, and in a good mood with time to kill make all the difference though when it isn't the best outside.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
Haha alright fair enough I never was good with the homophones but will endeavor to improve them for you. :wink:
Colin I have always been interested in a Balaclava but am unsure of how it would affect smoking. You seem to like it , does it not effect the exhale too much?
I love smoking on the patio back home in VA but unfortunately here I don’t have the option.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Best advice I could give you would be to dress warm, find cover, and rough it! Smoking inside is ideal for most of us but it seems there are many who don't get to do that very often, myself included. Start the countdown to the warmer days ahead.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Fshu2, welcome to the forum. Too bad about your dilemma. Other than telling you to find a spot inside somewhere, I’d just have to say that you’re going to have to go get a heater, wear more clothing, or just get piss-ignorant drunk to be able to smoke outside in the Pennsylvania winter.
Either that or find a way to smoke inside. What kind of housing arrangement do you have? A lot of guys here, including myself, have installed some kind of vent system in order to get away with smoking in the warmth of the indoors.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
thank you very much. i do bundle up its just the face that is hard to keep warm and smoke at the same time. a heater sound like a good plan thank you.
i would love to smoke inside but i am in a dorm so i can not. however i would love to make a vet system for that it would be great.

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
i smoke in my truck and i don`t care if you spelled it to,too or two. i new what you ment. good luck

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
I live in the north of Scandinavia... Sweden. -9.4 ºF today. Smoked outside and enjoyed every second. You can get use to smoking a pipe with mittens I promise. Put on your long-johns and your man pants and enjoy your pipe. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.