Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
This is an article worth reading:
http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/pipe-smoking-rises-ashes-hip/story?id=26081188

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well, I started when it was hip, persevered when it wasn't and now it is again. I'm going to dig out my cravats and dickies; can they be far behind?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
no, cobguy. The doctor said be careful not to break your hip
Lol ... closer to truth! :rofl:
Seems like a lot of "fashions" are cyclical ... even Bell Bottoms made a brief return! 8O

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Them cobbers though...they are just a bunch of hillbillies
Definitely! :)

phil-morgan-kevin-godbee.jpg

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
We, pipe smokers, already know that this hobby, if it ever were, has nothing to do with lampoon characters, being snobbish or having a sassy accent, but it is true most people still see it as an embarrassing anachronism. I can see myself how the scene is changing, and I think we should ask ourselves who is behind this change in the public perception.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I see nothing wrong with accompanying a pipe with a sassy accent.
Tell me about it. If I could speak English like Gandalf did in the Lord of the Rings, I'd give my my Spanish. :)

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I am currently working with clients that happen to be involved in the micro brew industry. We met tonight at their establishment to go over a proposal I drafted and since we were outside for a bit I fired up a pipe. I am 45 and they are in their late 20's to early 30's and they both thought I was cool for smoking a pipe. I couldn't believe how quickly the conversation turned from business (and beer) to my pipe, the tobacco, how long I have been smoking, where should they start, etc. I was totally in awe how by firing up a pipe I had their undivided attention and probably gained a few points on the respecto-meter.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
yazamitaz, As I must be one of the younger pipe smokers on this forum, I am heartened by your story and the story shared by jorgesoler. At the same time, I hope hipsters do not try to ruin pipe smoking so thoroughly as they have endeavored to ruin plaid.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Hip? I thought I was being sexy!
I may have to rethink my entire way of life, now that

I know what people are really thinking of me...

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I guess since I've been smoking a pipe since I was 18 and that was almost 20 years ago that would make me a trend setter. Although I lay no claim to the plum mashing fashion that is male Skinny Jeans. I enjoy my blood flow to proper places.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I'm past being any kind of trend or fashion setter, but that's a good thing (I'll say not having a choice).

Tom Waits (the growly voiced singer) said he started imitating the old men on the bowry because they got to

wear the crazy hats and didn't have to meet anyone's expectations -- I'm paraphrasing, something like that.

Wait started acting, talking and singing that way when he was about 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.