PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
I just got some of C&D's Five O'Clock Shadow in, popped the 8oz tin open ( had a date of 08/2017 on it ) - the aroma from the tin was stewed fruits, but also some chocolate and nut with some wood and smoke in the distance - so at this point I'm trying not to drool into the tin, hehe - The plugs looked like fresh baked brownies. Cutting the plugs was pretty easy with a Benchmande EDC blade, rubbing the sliced flake was very easy, almost too easy, you have to be careful not to turn it to dust. I gave it about 15 to 20min before packing a small bowl , using a Peterson: Belgique Smooth Fishtail as I could also detect it's dark powers luring me into a bigger bowl, nope - not my first time around the block - this stuff does have a PUNCH to it, which I also enjoy but wanted to explore the blend first - as others have mentioned it does smoke SLOW, but you are tempted by the complex flavors to push it but beware it pushes back not in harshness but in power. I really enjoyed this blend and I can see it joining my AM rotation with GLP's JackKnife plug with side of coffee for that AM kick start I need.
So again to quote JimInks review on this because I don't have the gift of bacci review;
The red Virginia is very mildly tangy dark fruit sweet, acting as a base for the other components, which drown out some of the red. The other Virginia is grassy, very lightly citrusy, and not very noticeable otherwise. The perique is very spicy, raisiny, and slightly figgy, and adds a big kick to the experience. The dark fired Kentucky is spicy, earthy, with a touch of wood and smokiness, and is more obvious than the description allows as it has a important say in the flavor. The nic-hit is potent. An easy to break apart Krumble Kake that burns slowly with very little moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights. There's a mild creaminess present that rounds out the flavors, though it can get a touch harsh near the finish if you puff fast. No dull spots. If you like a bit of spice, you'll enjoy the after taste. Not an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'dragon, cagey of you to go at this with a Belgique, smart unless you are seeking a thrill. Sounds tasty, and also a nice blend to cut with a milder blend, depending on mood.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
This blend was included in the tobacco crawl that featured C&D blends one month.

I really enjoyed it. It also 'played well with others' when added to a base of codger blend or straight varietal, VA or Burley.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I have a tin of this in the cellar.

May have to give it a try soon, even with all the other blends I have open.

Status
Not open for further replies.