PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
my birthyear Dunhill returns
This listing says the bowl was over reamed when the seller received it. Reason for relisting said to be winning bidders eyes were too big for his wallet.
This is a very difficult pipe for me to evaluate. All things considered, I did not think the winning bid (slightly less than $900 with shipping) was too much. History says these relisted items get knocked down a fair amount. Condition issues, but a piece that is possibly truly unique, and recognizably "kin" to the premier iconic Dunhill shape family, the LC, most examples of which have condition issues.
And I am not looking for a birth year Dunhill. If I make it to 2025 and am still living independently, I will be in the market for one stamped that year. I just hope I can afford it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
But... but... it was extra, super-duper-carefully, teensy-weensily, itty-bittily, barely, ever-so-slightly, oh-so-marginally, almost imperceptibly, practically inappreciably, hardly-at-all previously enjoyed...
:roll:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Interesting! One would think that for a pipe that may go for a thou would deserve much better photography. Which makes me think the poor lighting and underexposure isn't an accident.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
That thing is a beauty and the shape is magnificent. Cmon you can afford it NOW! :clap:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tim- Is the shaming available to see online? I read the lengthy description of the pipe but nada on the previous botched sale.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
THIS IS A (10)TEN-DAY(10), NO RESERVE, AND INTERNATIONAL COLLECTIBLE BRIAR PIPE AUCTION.
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW ALL OF THE OTHER BEAUTIFUL, NEW, OR FULLY RESTORED AND RECONDITIONED HIGH GRADE COLLECTIBLE PIPES THAT I HAVE LISTED FOR AUCTION THIS WEEK ON EBAY
I buy and/or consign collectible high grade pipes! If you have any high grade pipes that you would like me to buy or consign for you, please contact me, and I will be happy to work with you!
This pipe is being relisted due to a non paying winning bidder whose eyes were bigger than his wallet!
You are bidding on a carefully formerly enjoyed condition, 1950 production, Dunhill sandblasted "Shell Briar" "KM" "F/T (Fish Tail flared stem lip) shape stamped "Bent Billiard" shaped pipe. This patent stamped pipe is in a crisp and mint overall condition - especially when taking into account it's 67 year age! While this pipe is stamped as a Group 4, it is of a similar size and capacity as that of an "ODA" size Dunhill pipe.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Ash is 11 seconds faster than me; another sign of my increasing age and slowness; still waiting on the wisdom that's supposed to come to me with age.

Oct 7, 2016
@jpmcwr, I know less about photography than I do quantum physics (very little, I assure you), but I have always found Rob's pictures more than adequate. What I need to know, I can tell. The stem appears original, no visible cracks in the shank (I would look at it with a loupe if I were at a show,as that is a particular problem with this shape) and the bowl has been over reamed.
I have had a few dealings with Rob that have been entirely satisfactory. I do not recall ever meeting him, though our paths must have crossed at a show or two as we were both active in the 1980's and 1990's. My purpose in restarting this thread was not to dump on him. The pipe itself is noteworthy in my opinion, as it truly might be unique, but even more in that it illustrates some of the issues that are going to pop up with estate pipes that carry significant collector premiums.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fair enough, OGS. The photos are still underexposed, but I'll take back my other comment about a nefarious reason why they don't show as much as they could. It is a fabulous shape and worthy of inspection from all angles.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
While Rob is known as a shrewd negotiator at pipe shows, he also has a reputation of being a fair person. He took this one back, so that says a lot in my book. Rob was at the NYC show a few months ago, I'm sure he checked out the lone LC that was on a seller's table.

Oct 7, 2016
The major eBay consignment sellers all seem to have their own style of description and photography. Most of the time, I ask questions before I enter a bid. I have had precisely one pipe out of maybe three dozen purchased on eBay that I felt was a problem, and I fixed that on my own with no drama. Well, it did lead me to bitch about coating the bowls of used pipes.
I do think Rob could have cut down on the adjectives in describing an over reamed pipe, though.
Al, what was the ask on the LC?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al, what was the ask on the LC?
$1,200. Unrestored but in very good condition with no repairs. The seller had owned it for over 50 years. I almost asked to take some pictures of it, now wish that I had been so bold.

Oct 7, 2016
The pipe that is the subject of this post brought $697 on the relisting, as opposed to an $872 bid by a non performing bidder on the initial listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.