PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cornell & Diehl's Epiphany is a classic Va/bur/Lat/Per English blend crafted after what was supposedly

Albert Einstein's favorite tobacco, Revelation. This review is entirely courtesy of twoonefive, who sent me

a jar full sample. I'd been wanting to try this for a year or more, but just never got the order done. If you

like English blends, you know you're going to enjoy this one at first sniff, that lively balance between tobaccos,

with plenty of Latakia and Perique, but not a Lat killer nor Perique heavy either. It all comes through pleasingly,

with the Virginia taking the lead, with a light new mown hay scent, but everything else chiming in, in a robust

chorus. This can go as an all-day smoke, but is sturdy enough to serve as an after-dinner blend as well. Like

most C&D blends, it is artfully worked out to give you several layers of flavor and some change as you go through

the bowl. Most English lovers will enjoy it. It's not quite so quiet as Fox and Hound, nor quite as edgy as 965,

but has its own vivid charm. Another score for Cornell & Diehl.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
mso489:
Herr Professor Doctor Einstein's favorite pipe-tobacco was, indeed, Revelation Smoking Mixture, a product of Philip Morris & Co. Ltd. Inc. Did you ever try it, and if so, how does Epiphany compare?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
huntrtrw, I haven't tried Revelation, and didn't know it was still available. However, in the past, people who

smoked Revelation and Epiphany, if I remember correctly, seemed to think it wasn't a match, but liked both

in their own rights.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks again, twoonefive. I'm looking forward to many bowls of Epiphany.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. So it's one of the transitional blends, with an aromatic dimension, whatever you say. I don't get that, but

I'll look for it next time I light a bowl.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's a plum topping that you can smell in the tobacco but not really in the smoke and doesn't ghost. I would classify it as a light american style english blend. The latakia is pretty much in the background, I don't really pick up the Va very much in this one either. Definitely not a crossover blend for aro smokers, don't let the "light" term fool you, this is pretty strong stuff in my opinion. I'm pretty neutral on it, I don't really hate it, don't love it, but still am not throwing it away and making my way through 4 ounces of it. 4noggins Painter Hills is another Revelation style match I would be interested in.

dixcreek

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
Excellent all day smoke. Fruity tones don't overpower the blend of tobaccos nor mask their flavor. All components work well together and match the cut as well. Liked it so well I sealed up a few Quarts in the cellar. Want this one around when the Zombies come! :nana:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
With Epiphany, I prefer the tin note and top half of the bowl significantly over the bottom half of the bowl. By the time I get half-way through a bowl of this tobacco I've lost the complexity of the blend and the note of plum has dissipated entirely. I agree with the analysis of "American style light English blend"... with the emphasis on light. As far as Englishes go, it isn't complex enough for me to want to smoke it over other blends like 965 or some of the delightful Peretti blends. As a fruit forward blend I would rather smoke a well blended baccy heavy on Va and Perique like Director's Cut, Haddo's Delight or Escudo.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I enjoyed the second half of the bowl. I would agree that it is different than the first half, but I felt it deepened in flavor. I guess I could equate it to "cigar-y", but again, I found that aspect pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.