PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I had an ah ha moment the other day. Depending on what flavors are in a blend, and what I expect to get out of a blend, there are major differences depending where on my tongue I direct the smoke during an inhale. Front, top front, top back, and even under the front. Virginias seem to really reveal themselves to the very tip of my tongue or underneath the front of my tongue. I guess we learned back in grade school how different parts o the tongue taste different things. But I was surprised at how dramatically I could change how flavorful a puff was by simply relocating the smoke stream.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I would guess you are imagining things.

Different parts of the tongue don't taste different things. The tongue's "flavor map" was discredited a long time ago.
Glad you're enjoying yourself, though!

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Well - perhaps different parts of my tongue are more sensitive. I can definitely alter how intensely I sense the taste of a blend.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yeah, supposedly that zone thing with certain areas of the tongue triggering different tastes seems to have been debunked some time ago. But, I swear that the taste of such things as sour, salt and something like hot peppers, etc. seems to emanate from different areas of the tongue. That’s not to say that these so called ‘zones’ of taste on the tongue exist, but as long as I can enjoy the different tastes of food and enjoy them I really I don ‘t give a rats ass as long as it works.
As for trying to direct different blends to certain areas of the tongue to enjoy, and or taste different blends seems like a real pain in the, well… ‘tongue’ and way too much concentrated effort when it’s not needed. But, if some reason, whether it be something physiological or not means nothing as long as whatever works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.