PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Here is an article I just stumbled across.
Biologically active recombinant human erythropoietin expressed in hairy root cultures and regenerated plantlets of Nicotiana tabacum L.
It seems that our white coat scientists are having success growing human protein in our beloved tobacco plant. While this plant has most likely gotten it's DNA from some poor sap whose family couldn't afford a proper burial, our government still allows it to be called tobacco. There is no law or need to tell us what it's proper Baptismal name is. All sanctity is forsaken, and we are free to grow are brethren over and over again, ad nauseum.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It seems that our white coat scientists are having success growing human protein in our beloved tobacco plant.
Get a DNA sample from your enemies and you can smoke them everyday.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Another great reason to stock up now. Even if tobacco is still around and legal in coming years, God only knows what kind of freakish, nicotine deficient plant they will have turned it into.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
pogo-enemy.jpg

It seems like Science Fiction and Art of the past ends up becoming our present, serving as our guide to the future.

I think it is time we started to write stories of worlds and lives that we would all want to live in.

After all, we all play our part in the NeverEnding Story.

Mr. Koreander: Your books are safe. While you're reading them, you get to become Tarzan or Robinson Crusoe.
Bastian: But that's what I like about 'em.
Mr. Koreander: Ahh, but afterwards you get to be a little boy again.
Bastian: Wh-what do you mean?
Mr. Koreander: Listen. Have you ever been Captain Nemo, trapped inside your submarine while the giant squid is attacking you?
Bastian: Yes.
Mr. Koreander: Weren't you afraid you couldn't escape?
Bastian: But it's only a story.
Mr. Koreander: That's what I'm talking about. The ones you read are safe.
Bastian: And that one isn't?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That movie was a horrible disservice to a great book. That conversation between Mr. Coreander and Bastian never happened, and very little in the movie was remotely similar. Mr. Coreander did smoke a pipe though, and as for SciFi of the past becoming our present, I want my flying car! :mrgreen:
img_20171104_0905391-337x600.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Screw that, I want intergalactic travel! We should be fighting the space bugs by now... instead we're just fighting domestic insects, many of which are human.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
They are here, only they are called planes/helicopters and spaceships.
Most books are better than the movie they are based on. It was still excellent as far as movies go.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Most books are better than the movie they are based on.
That is very true. I doubt many would disagree. In fact, I wince when I see a movie based on the book, because books are simply more high-bandwidth and for that reason, transitions can occur on a more complex basis than requiring characters to make grand gestures.
However, I think chasingembers is making a slightly different point here:
That conversation between Mr. Coreander and Bastian never happened, and very little in the movie was remotely similar.
He feels the movie took liberties with the story by being different from the book, and possibly injecting something else into the story, losing its essence. I wish we had misterlowercase here because he wrote impassioned defenses of maintaining continuity with the past, or at least with the origin, and it seems to me that C.E. is making the same argument.
As far as movies from books that somewhat improved upon the original, I would point to the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, both of which are epic adaptations.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Movies are fixed, whereas books are unique to each reader. Our visualizations of the written word are much more influenced by our own experiences and ability to sympathize with the author's mind. Some people may not be able to get half as much from a book as they can get from a movie. For me, The Lord of the Rings was greatly diminished as a movie, so many conversations depicted never happened and very little in the movie was remotely similar. It was still a great movie trilogy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My biggest gripe about The Neverending Story is that the movie only represents about 1/4 of the book, and loosely at best.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, let me just play the skeptic for purposes of discussion. If recombinant DNA were readily created by roots of plants contacting remains, plants all over the world would be modified by zebra, owls, bats, ants, and so on. There would be gorilla weed everywhere in gorilla country. I don't think this occurs. The recombinant DNA that I know about has to be created at considerable expense and trial and error in the lab, and occurs in some limited points on genes, such that the created organism has no discernible resemblance to the foreign gene. I think the hope is to create plants that have just enough of a single gene, or select genes, to have medical benefit for people. But the possibility of conducting table conversation with your broccoli is nil. Bad joke. Anyway, this sounds like a stretch to me.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Anything is possible mso489. Scientists have created pigs with human hearts for heart transplants, cows that produce human milk for ?, Corn that causes infertility by producing human antibodies that attack sperm to reduce the human population, the possibilities are only limited by the imagination. Many transgenic organisms contain multiple gene insertions, many have lightening bug DNA spliced in near the inserted genes so that new organism strains can be compared with each other. The brightest organisms of the surviving renditions are assumed to have highest percentage of inserted genes. One of the scary things about all of this is that these transgenic organisms are not required to be identified as such. While it may be expensive to create these monsters for people like you or me, how is it expensive for government backed projects, when a hundred dollar bill has the same intrinsic value as a one dollar bill, and money is multiplied out of thin air in banks with our fractional reserve system, and our national debt is estimated in the trillions? We have no means to test these organisms in our homes. When transgenic organisms are pushed on the population despite their expense to manufacture, one has to wonder why. What is the real motivation of our bottomless pocket, fake money rulers? I think I know, but you will have to ponder and research for your self. The real question is, do you trust the rulers to have your interests in mind, or do you think they are more concerned with managing huge populations? One thing is for sure, Atheistic Humanism is the modern religion, even if it is not explicitly proclaimed. The splicing of human DNA into our food supply is not anything they would hesitate to do, nor want us to know about.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I don't want to paralyze anyone with worry. It is only information that I am imparting.

My purpose in sharing is that this isn't common knowledge, or if it is, it is slipped into awareness as "the marvels of modern medicine and science." Calling attention to the fact that we, as a society, are falling into complacency about life, seeing each other as a simple generic mass of amino acid factories, without God given rights or purpose. In reference to Atheistic Humanism, I didn't mean to imply evil intent, they do mean well. The philosophy is more of a situational ethics, lack of soul, rationalism that isn't going to be the best answer for everyone, although it influences the policies of everyone. If you choose not to let this affect your life, that is your choice. Having a greater awareness of the world we live in allows us to make better decisions for the life we lead. Here is the point I tried to make in my second post on this thread:

It seems like Science Fiction and Art of the past ends up becoming our present, serving as our guide to the future.

I think it is time we started to write stories of worlds and lives that we would all want to live in.

After all, we all play our part in the NeverEnding Story.

The NeverEnding Story is a metaphor for the everlasting Present Moment. We all face trials and difficult decisions in life. It is our character, our ethics and values that make all of the difference. Many go through the trials of life and fail, Atreyu was a role model to inspire hope in us, showing us what is important.
Continuing the LotR references:

Learning that our world doesn't end at the border of the Shire, doesn't mean that all is lost. “'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo. 'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'”

Status
Not open for further replies.