PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
After two weeks in Israel, after searching several "tobacco shops" in several different cities, I finally found a shop in a mall outside of Tel Aviv that had a meager selection of tins. Peterson's, Savinelli, Erinmore, Royal Yuck and some Rattrays. Nothing that we can't find in the US, at about $20 a tin.
2v2uzG7dMx3L6Bn.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
But it has Hebrew health warnings ! Think of the cachet of plonking one of those down at your local Pennsylvanian-Deutsch Bund Pipe Smokers Club! :rofl:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Brightleaf, we leave in the morning, so I probably won't get to crack the tin. I survived two weeks on Navigator and John Cotton's 1&2. Not a bad way to enjoy a vacation!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Did you pick up an Israel-made pipe? When I used to believe in stamps indicating the national origin, I thought that would be a cool one. Now I doubt most of them, sort of a sliding scale of credibility, mostly low. I do have a Thompson Cigar house pipe stamped "West Germany," which I somewhat believe. Dr. Grabow and Missouri Meerschaum are family, so I know them and from whence they come. Love the tins in Hebrew, neat.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
MSO, I did some cursory research before our trip and jotted down several places that looked like possible places to shop for a pipe. Since I don't read Hebrew, this wasn't too easy! I only got to three shops, and none carried pipes.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
He posted a couple here http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-unofficial-secret-santa-2017-thread/page/6

Ein Gedi, Israel is west of the Dead Sea near the Qumran Caves. The site of ancient hidden libraries.
I'm didn't suspect you were parched of tobacco woodsroad. Thanks for staying in touch while abroad.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My wife and I had a wonderful trip, visiting our daughter who is on a gap year program, as well as family friends who live on a kibbutz in the north near Syria and Jordan. So it really a trip to see loved ones, but we managed to squeeze in some serious sight-seeing, too.Check out my FB page for more pix. I'll post a lot more after we get home!

Jan 8, 2013
.Check out my FB page for more pix.
Just checked them out. Awesome photos. It looks like you had a fine time. Funny thing... in many places it looks like Texas :rofl: I'm going to take a walk and see if anything looks familiar :mrgreen:

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I visited Israel as a teenager in 1983. I have fond memories of the food and history. I would love to go back someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.