PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I've had pipes around me since '72 and bought my first meerschaum in '75. I may have around 140 or so now... and I've always been a stickler for being easy with them and having a good place to set them down. OCD... I have to have my surroundings just right before I even take a pipe out of it's place, whether in my chair or going out. And I do take my pipes out and about with complete safety. Fortunately, I've never dropped, scratched, chipped, scrapped or dented one of my meerschaums until today. This isn't going to be a story of a lost or destroyed pipe, just a scratch actually.... I just hate a soiled paper, a crumpled photograph, a spoon in the fork slot, or the green scrubber pad left in the sink.....! I always had to have things just right or forget it. Today I just made a permanent shop pipe I guess.

At the shop today I was building a small patio table for a friend, turned around and planted my face head-on into one of the legs. My pipe got loose and I reached out, grabbed, bobbled and grabbed some more. Got a few fingertips on it and up it went airborne again. I did catch it before it hit anything, but I guess my ring-finger got hold of it more than the rest.... I just hate one of my pipes got scratched....

I know, "Big Deal!" but that's just the way I am....

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am little OCD with my things so I feel your pain TopD. But good on you for this being your first scratch!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Sorry Top. I feel you.
I had the buffer throw my Rosslare into the floor leaving a 2mm wide dent in the side of the bowl. I treat it as a beauty spot, but it still pains me.
-- Pat

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That scratch is the only thing you're gonna think about whenever you see that pipe ...from now and for the rest of your life!

And when that scratch starts to color faster than the rest of the bowl, you're gonna slam it against the nearest wall in a rage.

Buy some chamois cloth at the auto parts store and sew a sock to cover the bowl and shank -- like a leather covered pipe.

Then it'll be a little bit safer to smoke in the shop, and you won't have to look at it all the time and get aggravated.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
One scratch in that long a time and that many pipes is pretty good going, but I know how you feel - I prefer to see it as perfectionist rather than OCD :wink:

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
the only cure for that is to get another pipe that looks like it and sell it and then never smoke that new pipe because good chances it will not taste the same. but other then that id go from brads idea and give it a matching beauty mark.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Top: I feel the hurt, and recognize the distraught feelings you are experiencing. My first gourd meer was a big horn of a thing. Lovely and light.
The first time I packed and smoked it, I thought this was just the greatest thing since grits. I emptied the bowl and wanted to pack another. I blew threw the stem, unconsciously, and the meer bowl popped out, flew up in front of my face and crashed landed on the hardwood floor.
It broke in half. I cried, wailed and felt I had sinned. I glued the bowl together with super glue, or something like that, and stuffed it away, a crippled soldier.
I still smoke the old gourd at times. I still see the jagged crack. It is still painful.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Glad it is only a scratch and not a total loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.