PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Over the past couple of months I have been collecting books on pipe smoking. Most of my purchases have been through Amazon with a couple purchases from eBay. What I have found when buying though Amazon is quite humorous. When I look at a book on Amazon.ca, eg. The Ultimate Pipe Book, it costs about $80 CAD. But when I look up that same book on Amazon.com, it is $57 USD. Now, shipping is more money from Amazon.com, and not all sellers will ship internationally. But the above example landed on my door step, with exchange rate and shipping for $20 less than if I bought through the Canadian website. Same seller, hell same company, just different website domain.
Just another example that it pays to shop around before buying. Especially for Canadian's, as most companies have figured out we will pay more for the same thing than our Southern Brethren.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Northernneil:
Or you could have picked it up on eBay for US$30. Heck, I'd have sold you a copy for that price. (If you're looking for Hacker's follow-up, The Christmas Pipe, I have a copy of that that I'd sell as well.)
FWIW, I have two copies of the Ultimate book because I bought the first printing and discovered a ton of proofreading mistakes in it. I wrote to the author about it, who hired me to proofread the text before he went to a second printing. So my "first printing" is all marked up, but the "second printing" is in fine condition, with dust jacket.
BTW, despite Hacker's affluent public image, my "payment" for about six hours of proofreading/editing was a Sasieni Claret (a second) and a single tin of tobacco! But, hey, I was fresh out of college and thrilled to have had any connection whatsoever with the book.
Bob

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
nice Bob. PM me with details of how to buy Ultimate from you. Thanks

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Thanks for the offer Bob, the dollar figures I used above are not 100% acurate, mainly used to highlight that the book cost so much from .com and that same book went for $20 more on .ca. No reason for the price increase other than it is being sold through a Canadian site rather than the American site.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
northernneil:
Do keep in mind that even the Canadian site is fulfilling orders from US-based vendors (since the book has been long out of print). There may be added fees with that kind of international sale. There's also a small "hassle factor" involved for the US vendors who are fulfilling international orders, which might bump the prices up a bit. And it's possible that Amazon Canada takes a higher overall fee from online transactions than the U.S. operation does, which means vendors need to up their prices accordingly. (I didn't notice that the book was stocked by any Canadian vendors.)
Bob

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
FWIW, I have two copies of the Ultimate book because I bought the first printing and discovered a ton of proofreading mistakes in it. I wrote to the author about it, who hired me to proofread the text before he went to a second printing. So my "first printing" is all marked up, but the "second printing" is in fine condition, with dust jacket.
BTW, despite Hacker's affluent public image, my "payment" for about six hours of proofreading/editing was a Sasieni Claret (a second) and a single tin of tobacco! But, hey, I was fresh out of college and thrilled to have had any connection whatsoever with the book.
Bob
Wow, that is pretty neat Bob! I have a signed, first edition and you are right, it has a lot of errors. I found it for $15 from Goodwill.com. A few of my other pipe books have came from Goodwill as well, they were all under $20 (The Dunhill book, Rare Smoke, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.