PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Got my C&D Carolina Red Flake today and checked the serial numbers. Was surprised to find this one:

Carolina%20Red%20Flake.jpg

I think I'll keep this one sealed.....for a long time.
I did get some more though, too.

15%20CRF%20Tins.jpg

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Atta boy Jmatt. I only got eleven.

Let me guess: Smoke one now, have an even ten to cellar?
I ordered 16. 1 to smoke now and 15 to cellar.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Now I know why I can't get one... sigh. He who hesitates is lost. Or "snooze, you lose!". But at least I know for sure it's all gone and thank jmatt for the hot info. What really jams me up on this one is that I had literally just ordered THREE pipes the evening before I got the email announcing the blend's availability.(exceeding my mandate by about 2 pipes... oops.) I frantically called spc to see if my order wasn't yet so far gone that they couldnt stick two tins of this in my box... you know, all the better to fly it in under the radar, so to speak... better to catch heck for a larger prior crime than tempt the wrath with another non-contiguous one! Alas... spc's service is SO GOOD... always!! So until next time, I guess.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
That is a very impressive haul. I ordered 2 tins from SP.com (all I am willing to risk with international shipping), and was waiting for 4noggins to get theirs in stock. Unfortunately they never got any. So I will have to make due with 2.
I love the look of that mountain of tobacco nonetheless!!!
:worship:

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
So hang on. I don't mean to rain on your parade, cuz I think 1st and last tins are pretty cool to collect. . . but 2400 tins? That's considered small batch? How many pipe smokers are enjoyers of fine leaf besides drugstore blends? This seems like a gimmick to sell out all of the tins.
As I understand some leaf is limited to the crop for that season, similar to the VAs in McClelland's Christmas Cheer, and each year the leaf is different as a result. . . but 2400 tins? That is small batch?
Is this like the boutique cigar limited production runs . . . only . . . . 300 lbs at a time?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
2400 tins? That's considered small batch?
There were a lot of complaints from customers about the first two small batch blends selling out so fast that they decided to ramp up production this time around. Sykes and Jeremy gave wonderful explanations on other threads about this very issue.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Gheesh. 777 tins was too limited and people whined. So now 2400 tins is too many.....and....? What's the proposed magic number for "a Small Batch shall be no less than X tins, and no more than Y tins."
One hogshead of tobacco weighs roughly 1,000 pounds. I'd say a tobacco made from 1/3 of the tobacco from one hogshead from one field, that sells out in half a day, is still a pretty small batch. If they sold this by the 8 ounce tin and numbered them 1 - 600 would that be better? One pound bags labeled 1-300?
In my opinion, by any measure that's a pretty small batch of tobacco.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There were a lot of complaints from customers about the first two small batch blends selling out so fast that they decided to ramp up production this time around.
Good call. Time to up it again perhaps...

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
All I know is I was able to acquire twice as many as pipesmokingtom was able to cellar. 2 X 0 = 0. However jmatt, please let us know how it tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.