PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monstermash51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 13, 2012
The McLelland 5100 I ordered a week ago finally came! I ordered it from P&C and know them they threw in a sample of "Hearth and Hom - Louisiana Red." Does any one have any special tips or methods on how to prepare both tobaccos? For the hell of it i"ll post pics of them and my Savinelli 101 :) I'm really super excited.
The MC5100 on the left, Loui on the right

423789_362540050437872_100000456397562_1183188_2106520171_n.jpg

if you want more pics of the pipe I have some but are really blurry.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I would probably set a bowl of the bacci for about 30 min to dry out a bit as the fresh bacci can have quite a bit of moisture. Nice pipe by the way.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Does any one have any special tips or methods on how to prepare both tobaccos?
My own preference is to dry the 5100 so it's just North of crispy.

The Louisiana Red I've gotten in the past has been perfect as it arrived. I enjoy that one when it is just moist enough that it barely holds together when compressed with your fingers.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Sorry Toker and OTD, I gotta disagree with you both on drying out 5100. With such high natural sugar content it's going to burn a little warm... but to dry it out until it's almost "crispy" would make for an overly hot, puff-and-it's-gone smoking experience.
Just my opinion. With 5100, I just pack it normally and smoke it slowly and smoothly.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
No need to apologize BV, we are after all only expressing opinions and preferences! (-:
FWIW, I think of crispy as tobacco that crumbles in a brittle fashion when compressed.

So my preference for the 5100 at "North of crispy" is that there is enough moisture for the bits to remain pliant but when compressed they don't stick together at all.
Fine line but there-in be some o' the joy in this passion o' the pipe!

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
Congrats on the arrivals. They look delicious. You'll have to let us know how they smoke. Enjoy.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Now not to agree or disagree with anyone that has commented before me but IMAO and based on the order of 5100 I just received today from Pipes & Cigars I'd say it's ready to smoke as is. My order feels a little drier than usual. Regarding the H&H Louisiana Red, most of Russ's blends tend to be a little on the dry side, which I believe is the way he prefers them to be so it is probably okay to smoke as well. Now IMO most of Russ's blend tend to be a little green and are good but always better after allowed to age a month or two.
Either way you have chosen two very nice VA blends and I hope you enjoy them both. :puffy:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Enjoy that Red Cake. She's tasty for sure.
Haven't gotten around to trying much of the H&H series but hopefully that will change soon!

monstermash51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 13, 2012
Ok so I finally got around to smoking the Red Cake and Damn, It was tounge bite city. I was doing everything by the book too: slow draws at slow intervals and it wasn't packed too tight. What am I doing wrong?

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Other than pack or draw, different levels of moisture would be the about the only thing left to try.

As I mentioned earlier in here in your thread:
So my preference for the 5100 at "North of crispy" is that there is enough moisture for the bits to remain pliant but when compressed they don't stick together at all
That's what works for me with the 5100.

Status
Not open for further replies.