PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
I have used 99% Iso to clean my cobs a couple times now. I just did a thorough shank/stem cleaning on all 3 with pipe cleaners and swabs wet with Iso. They came out very clean, but they "fog" the interior of the amber stems and actually begin to dissolve the outside of the stem if you get it wet with alcohol. I noticed this as I was holding the wet stem and my finger print was left in it. You can polish much of it out if you want to be bothered (it's just a cob). But it does seem too harsh for the stock stems. I found that if I hold the stem upside down and carefully clean the inside of the black stems you could keep it from getting on all but the tip of the button and avoid any noticeable damage. But I just thought I would post this so others would know before they do the same thing I did with 99%. I may either just use a milder liquor in the future or at least dilute my iso a bit first. I like 99% though because it is strong and works well to dissolve nasties.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
I wish I could get Everclear here. That is what I wanted to acquire. I will have to take a trip a province over to grab some (Alberta is the only place you can get it in Canada). I settled for the 99% iso because it is pure and will not leave any water behind like the 70%. I had tried 40% Vodka (because it is flavourless) but found it too watery to be that effective. That being said, I guess it has its place.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Yes roth, I think if I am going to actually clean them properly, I will do so. I don't really need my stems melting and giving me any reasons not to do proper cleaning. Right now that is not in the budget, but instead of replacing stems with the original kind (when they wear out) I will likely do the Forever Stem instead. I think as I get some briars acquired I may become more fussy about stem material (like you guys) and not want to even deal with plastic ones. If anyone else in Canada has ordered these Forever Stems, I would love to hear what to expect for final cost after shipping etc.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Chak, just get ONE Forever stem. You can pop it from pipe to pipe, easy peasy.
This is exactly what I did, and I love it. The stem fits every pipe I received in a bag of seconds, it is cut well and is sturdy. I will likely buy another in the future just to have 2 (maybe 1 straight 1 bent). I think it makes cobs 10x better! And Dave is fantastic.
That's interesting to hear about the MM stems melting! I guess because they are just plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.