PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
I hope I am using the correct terminology in my title. I am looking for a short, lightweight pipe with a straight stem. Currently I have a rather large full bent Peterson Kinsale XL-23. I would like to add to my collection a pipe at the other end of the spectrum.
Can anyone recommend a nice short pipe in the $100 to $200 range?
Thanks and Merry Christmas!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
My two favorite shorties are my Stanwell 32's. Not precisely nosewarmers, but short, straight, and light. The Brushed Black or Brushed Brown finish run about $50, and they are great smokers.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I'm not sure if you are looking for a corn cob, per se, but the Dagner poker from Missouri Meerschaum maybe something you look into. I've been thinking about getting a (poker style) nose warmer sometime next year, as a knock-around pipe for going out. I found the Dagner poker, and my intrest is piqued, and at $25, it's an affordable option (for me) to (personally) find out if it's the right style of pipe. Good luck!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
CabinFever, look into the Dagner Pipes they have many to choose from. It's kinda their specialty.
If you want a short pipe with a big bowl look up pipe maker Eric Paulson. I have several of his Devil Anse pipes that are great smokers and are short.
I'll post some pics in a bit if it'll help.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
With the difference in the cdn / us dollar this might be attractive: it is a northern briar/dagner collaboration on the canadian' shape; but it is miniaturized, as you'd expect from a dagner-take.
http://www.truenorthbriar.com/collections/dagner-pipes
specs_13c0b9b5-dbb5-4b7a-af57-445fe602ba09_large.jpg

IMG_0002_bc49bc3c-c006-4d80-93bf-ce401d25f649_1024x1024.JPG

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Ooh, I have been eyeing that 311 (as well as a 320 ks). Capt'n Embers, in your opinion, do you think the 311 would be a good knock-around/walking pipe? I'm going to try to pick up some pokers/cherrywoods in the spring/summer of next year, and where as the 320 ks seems like a good sit and work pipe, the 311 seems more of an out-and-about.
I've been nervous to throw a brier in my pocket, so I tried a cob a couple of weeks ago -- while exploring downtown -- and I see a walk and a smoke as a new favorite passtime.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've got one of my Weavers in my pocket right now. All pipes are pocket pipes to me. :mrgreen:

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/chacom-king/
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/chacom-reybert/
I have the pot shape reybert. Great little pipe!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here's a thread I started showing some of my small pipes.... I have more now and I really like how the clench like true champions.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/devil-made-me-do-it

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All of these are great suggestions. I'll have to second aldecaker on the Stanwell 32, their little bulldog and one of their earliest designs. I liked it so well, I bought a second in a different finish. PC has these at extra reasonable prices. They're made in Italy but are excellent pipes. They're light, portable, but with plenty of bowl for most purposes. Their proportions are almost perfect for the shape, a little understated but more fetching every time you smoke them.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
Well, I am a sucker for rusticated finish. I am really liking that True Northbriar Dagnar and the Savanelli 320 Joker.
I've also have been admiring a rustic Big Ben Pipo, but I think this style of Pipo is no longer made.
big-ben-pipo-in-suede-case-holland-clean-nr_1_b6e85594cfdb97c899c3aa90202b1cda.jpg

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
What a bunch of great pictures of some wonderful misunderstood pipes.

I have some of these small pipes nothing like what you have but they are enjoyable and a good smoke. In my collectiom I have 3 from the Czech republic, Yello bole Pug and a bunch of MM nosewarmers ranging from the Morgan to the Dagner. I even have a couple that I modded from Legends. I really enjoy them when I'm working around the yard or in my workshop.
Have a good nite and happy smokes

Dec 28, 2015
I have a Moonshine Pipes Devil Anse that I think would fit the bill of what you are looking for. It is only 4 inches long with a good sized bowl and is a great smoker.
image43-600x417.jpg

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
An Eric Paulson devil anse would work great in that price range, that northern briar looks sweet as hell as well. I have a couple of yellobole pugs that fit the bill and you could get three or four for the price range you're looking at.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are drawn to the 311 as a work and knock-around pipe, they come in various versions and a range of prices, as you will see. The one pictured on this thread is up-market, but there are others without the dressy band that would be fine take-along pipes. I think the MM/Dagner pipes are also a good choice, only $24 or so, with a good acrylic stem. You have lots of options and you may be tempted to get more than one pipe in this configuration. For a carry-along pipe, plain Jane maybe be good, less likely to get grabbed if set aside or left behind for a few hours, which sadly is a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.