PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajundan73

Lurker
Jul 23, 2014
Looking for all information possible for Ismet Bekler (and old) Turkish Meerschaum pipe carver. He carved some 2000 pipes in his life time. I own one called "Baucus" about 18" long. That was 41 years ago and in very good condition with good balance of color and original case. Have tried the internet and not much luck. Maybe a pipe collector will have more information. Thanks
Cajundan73

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Really Dude? Your first post here is "Hey, Guys, how about doing some research for me?" Why don't you search the site first and maybe even do a Google search. Or even look him up on Pipedia.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
^^ Wow, that was uncalled for. Just answer the question, or don't! I'm really starting to get annoyed with these smart@$$ responses to very benign questions.
OP, I don't know the answer to your question, but good luck in your search.

Reactions: TxPapaPuff

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
After looking over this 1980 CAO catalogue, my first impressions are that Bekler tried to exceed his abilities with a large number Figurals that Cano showcased for him. He really did better with the Pipes he carved for Golden Horn, or at least the 1975 catalogue Pipes look better. Bekler was a high production Carver, credited with some 2,000 - 4,000 Pipes a year, which means that he did the carving, but let others in his team do the sanding, waxing and fitting the bit to the Pipes. Likely, the emphasis on production was due, at least in part to Cano's relationship with the Tinderbox franchises, where CAO Meerschaums were pretty much an exclusive line. This is the machine that kept Bekler in the North American public view, despite the availability of high grade Meerschaums being produced by other Carvers, which were sold in other markets. Bekler was a hot item in the 1980s, when Cano Ozgener promoted him, Bekler was the first to start that trend of signing his pieces, unheard of at that time. In the 1970s and 1980s. Cano was the first aggressive marketer of Turkish pipes, and he also introduced CAO Meerschaum Cleaner and that tube of carnauba wax that was on the shape of a Chapstick. Cano (with Bekler at his side) was on a roll, and his idea of promoting him was, if memory serves me right, ahead of the game, long before Sam Sermet and SMS.

Reactions: TxPapaPuff
Status
Not open for further replies.