Isaiah 6:4 - The Last Six Words - For Reference Only!!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
So anyway, it has been kind of unseasonable warm here the last week or so in Central Alberta and my wife (AKA SWMBO, AKA the dreaded grandma person) have had the windows open. More specifically and to the point, her den/office/wife cave window and the big window beside our living room picture window which, of course leads into her den. Now, those of you fortunate enough to be able to smoke in the same dwelling that you co-habit with your significant other might not understand this, but our agreement about pipe smoking is that smoking of pipe is to be in two and only two places; the great outdoors and the garage; AKA the man-garage. And that is perfectly fine with me. So last evening smoking my last bowl of the day I was contentedly puffing away, garage door open about 2 feet as per usual and me sitting in my collapsible lawn chair close to the open garage door. Ah! I thought. All is well, wonderful thick clouds of Quiet Nights were curling down and out the open door. Puff, puff, puff. I hear muffled curses and slamming of cabinet doors filtering through the back of the garage. HA, HA, HA! She must have misplaced her shopping list or something. Good. As long as it isn't me, I'm gold. The back entrance to the house that is located at the back of the garage, fly's open and she pokes her head out. "Chris! what the **** are you doing????"

Hey there sweetie I'm just enjoying a bowl of Quiet Nights. See? It's all going outside. Isn't that thoughtful of me?"

"YOU'RE FILLING MY DEN WITH YOUR god-****** smoke!! It's coming in my window! Why didn't you warn me you were going out to smoke your nasty pipe? Why? I had no answer.

"I'm lighting some scented candles to get rid of the stench. Slam. Big sigh on my part. I have nothing against candles. Honest, I don't. They are people to and have rights but I consider scented candles something you only light at Easter mass once a year and only between 11:59pm and 12:00am. I'm thinking that now my crafty negotiating of keeping at least my cellar of tobacco and pipes located safely ensconced in my basement man-cave, is down the tubes and she will want them all moved into the garage. Back to square one. So today (right now more or less) I thought that I would putz around in the garage and some things done. I went over to my band-saw. Before starting to work on anything I always check that particular piece of equipment out to make sure nothing is amiss and I always turn off the master switch located on the back side of my work bench underneath and that it is also unplugged. I began my inspection and start to check to blade. Sproing, off the wheels it fly's. (Sorry, double plural) It is then that I deduce using my amazing powers of logic that little monkey fingers have been in my garage shop happily twisting knobs and playing with levers. The little monkey fingers being small people also referred to as grand children. It goes like this.

"Oh grandpa doesn't mind if we play out here," kind of song! Now they know that grandpa's shop is so totally off-limits but every once in awhile they forget or conveniently don't remember the rule, hence the powering down and unplugging of everything in my shop. No harm done except my beat up old band saw is kind of like me; old and cranky and needs special attention. I don't understand why my wife snorts when I mention to her that she is very fortunate to have had a low maintenance person like me around for the past 44 years of marital bliss and harmony. In an attempt last night to show her that I appreciated her allowing me to smoke in the garage, I said, "So, Quiet Nights has a really nice room note, don't you think?" Slam. Snick. I'm very glad the last few nights have been nice and warm...

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks, my OP was meant to make folks chuckle or groan, depending.

Nothing more than that.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
We are chuckling and groaning. Both trolls and scholars here, usually in the same person!
Here's hoping you are far from Fort McMurray (aka "Carbonari Town").

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Your story made me laugh. Sounds more than familiar right down to the 44 years of marital bliss. What I'm still trying to figure out is how we went from "his home is his castle" to being happy to have a man cave. I have a single rule as compared to her many, that is; do what you will with the rest of the house but my study is off limits. She'll test your resolve to be certain but be as unrelenting as she is. Violating my sanctuary is grounds for me to do the same! She didn't like it but has grudgingly conceded. I always operated under the concept that "God helps those that help themselves" but one does need to be mindful of the reality that "if mama isn't happy, nobody is happy". I too have a shop and she tried to infer that was "my" space, that was until I told her I was going to sell off all the tools and give her an inside place to park out of the New England weather but of course she would then have to hire outside contractors to take care of the endless "honey do" list. That was the last of that discussion. My council, don't give in, they're never satisfied.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
It sounds like the entire passage is relevant, just in reverse order! The temple was filled with smoke, and at the sound of their (her) voice the doorposts and thresholds shook.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
"YOU'RE FILLING MY DEN WITH YOUR god-****** smoke!! It's coming in my window! Why didn't you warn me you were going out to smoke your nasty pipe?"
Honey, I'm always smoking the god-******* pipe. It's what men do. I love you. Will you get me a beer?
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.