Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Is Your Pipe A Social Prop?

(32 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When you are with others, do you use your pipe as a social prop? Do you gesture with it, point, wave it around, pause significantly to puff? I think I tend to be more furtive, like people aren't supposed to notice, but perhaps I flourish a pipe more than I think. Do you conduct the orchestra, or the conversation, with your pipe?

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...sometimes, you just have to smack them in the head with it.

Michael
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think that you'll ever get anyone to admit that their pipe is a social prop. This is the age of binary thought. Even admitting that maybe sometimes, men especially are to afraid someone would accuse them of not being a "real" pipe smoker.
    But, in instances of my daughters coming to ma with arguments where they are frantic about something between them, I will take out my pipe, make a halting motion with my hand, load my pipe, and take great care to do a ritualized ignition with the greatest of care to get them to wait, wait... Wait till they've calmed down. And, 90% of the time, after they have reflected upon the "thing" that had them so upset, sorts itself out in their minds, and I don't have to mitigate.

But, I am not a hand talker anyways. My wife is, and she uses a lot of gestures when she speaks. Me, I usually just chose as few words as possible to make a conversation go away, unless I am holding court after dinner with friends, and I have a tale to tell. Then, maybe I do puff a few times to emphasize a dramatic pause in the story. But, for the most part, I hate having conversations while trying to enjoy my pipe.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 week ago #
  5. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, you shouldn't be a close talker with a pipe in your chops.

But, no, at least not on purpose.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  6. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

In 95% of cases I smoke alone. I don't like to be disturbed while I'm smoking, that 45-60 minutes is about my relaxation after a long day. But when I talk with a pipe in my hand, of course I hold it also when I'm making hand gestures. I'm not waving or moving my hands too much, I'm Nordic you know, not Italian

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

I enjoy smoking my pipe at the most when I'm alone so I seldom bring along it when socializing.
    A pipe is a good enough company on its own.

Hand gestures and waving... nah, I'm swedish.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't like to be disturbed while I'm smoking

A pipe is a good enough company on its own.

+1

I prefer not to attempt social interaction while pipe smoking. I hate multi-tasking.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 week ago #
  9. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I tend to smoke alone. Social interaction is too much of a distraction from my smoking.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 week ago #
  10. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

Agreed. Multi-tasking is the source of stress and headaches.

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

When you are with others, do you use your pipe as a social prop? Do you gesture with it, point, wave it around, pause significantly to puff?

I've only ever seen that on TV and in movies. People actually do that?

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the otherhand, I can't imagine smoking just to be smoking. I really only smoke while doing something else. It doesn't feel like multitasking, because smoking doesn't require me to do anything. It would feel like punishment if I had to set in a chair with nothing to do but smoke, like I am waiting on something, like death. Nope, let me set at my workbench and work while I smoke, or fish, or work the garden, or drive. Not that I really like conversing while smoking, because I don't like taking the pipe out of my mouth, or holding it... or answering questions... or other people in general. JK People are ok. Just don't talk to me.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do.

Then again I'm a solitary smoker.

Then again again I smoke whilst driving so I do flash it a lot.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  14. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It doesn't feel like multitasking...Not that I really like conversing while smoking, because I don't like taking the pipe out of my mouth

The talking is where the multi-tasking comes in.

EDIT: As far as the gesticulating goes, I only do that when I'm arguing with myself.

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just smoke the thing. Not really trying to be "oooh look at me! Look at me! I'm the guy with the pipe!"

I've only ever seen that on TV and in movies. People actually do that?

Only when their trying to be all... "oooh look at me! Look at me! I'm the guy with the pipe!"

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 week ago #
  16. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At a social gathering where I smoke, I tend to act the same as I would without it. Except I have it clenched in my teeth. I'm not one to flap my gums or arms that much.

Jason
    Posted 1 week ago #
  17. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not really trying to be "oooh look at me! Look at me! I'm the guy with the pipe!"

Yep, this is exactly what I was thinking that most guys would think. And, I don't think anyone does that, unless they are mentally screwed... or a theater major.

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ Unless you're at a pipe club meeting you're automatically going to be that guy whether you want to be or not...no matter how casually you attempt to just smoke your pipe.

For most people these days it's like encountering an extinct prehistoric species.

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually do not gesture when I converse.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  20. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't had much of a social life since a bit before taking up the pipe. Not sure how they might integrate.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 week ago #
  21. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now, maybe not so much. To a much younger me, a pipe wasn’t merely a prop; it was a dramatic tool.

I may still occasionally use one as a pointer.

Posted 1 week ago #
  22. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It would feel like punishment if I had to set in a chair with nothing to do but smoke, like I am waiting on something, like death.
    Frankly, if it's my time to go, I can think of no way better for me to go out than sitting comfortably in a chair smoking my pipe and going over the rainbow to see Dorothy and Toto...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  23. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tend to smoke alone. Social interaction is too much of a distraction from my smoking.

There are times you scare me with such opinions that scarily mirror my own.

Posted 1 week ago #
  24. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

There are times you scare me with such opinions that scarily mirror my own.

Must be a Hoosier thing.

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

Myself, no, not at all. I tend to not be involved in social situations at all.

However I do a character "Da Ole Perfesser" who gestures and fiddles with the pipe he almost never puts down, even when just recording audio. "His" mannerisms help me to keep the characterization consistent.

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unless you're at a pipe club meeting you're automatically going to be that guy whether you want to be or not...no matter how casually you attempt to just smoke your pipe.

For most people these days it's like encountering an extinct prehistoric species.

Nailed it.

-Home At Sea
    Posted 1 week ago #
  27. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I’m not the most social person. I have high social anxiety so I try not to stand out at all. I may use it to point and all that jazz around my family, they think it’s odd when they see me without a pipe, it’s become an extension of me. As far as matching a pipe to my “outfit”, I’m not like that. First of all I don’t wear outfits, second, I can usually be found in flip flops a t-shirt and shorts year round. I’m not too “stylish” so to speak. I’ve been trying to build up the courage to go to a pipe club meeting for a decade now but I can’t ever bring myself to walk through the doors. This here forum is to help fulfill my human need to socialize. It’s a total bitch cause it would be nice to have a few pipe smoking buddies that I can hang with face to face but I’ve made some truly great friends on the forums over the years.

Posted 1 week ago #
  28. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agree, Forums is a sort of surrogate for pipe-smoking friends we might have made in an earlier time. Maybe we need pipe-gesturing imagoes. I asked another old gent about his pipe tobacco choice in the grocery store parking lot and and he fled as if approached by the devil himself.

Posted 1 week ago #
  29. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not with purpose. But when we have a map on the hood of a truck, I use my pipe stem to point to things for emphasis. And I am Italian-American ... Hand waving is genetic.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 1 week ago #
  30. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Oh, absolutely! Unlike my stoical brethren who are working on their premature heart attacks, I'll occasionally smoke in the company of others while in conversation, during which time I may actually take the pipe out of my kisser and be holding it. And since I do occasionally gesture while talking, the pipe travels along with whatever hand happens to be gesturing.

A pipe is more convenient than either a baseball bat or a pool cue for those moments when you need to be extra persuasive, a bit classier as well, and more sanitary for the taking of eyeballs.

While I prefer doing one thing at a time, multitasking is a frequent necessity, especially at work where it's a non stop conveyor belt of questions, decisions, creating, emergencies, Chinese fire drills, and so forth. Fortunately I can walk, chew gum, and smoke a pipe all at the same time. I prefer to not chew gum and smoke at the same time as it does limit the experience somewhat.

For the most part I lunt, so my smokes are outdoors and in my own esteemed company. But occasionally I'll have a companion on that walk and if I happen to have a pipe in hand when I make the occasional gesture, so be it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 week ago #
  31. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I asked another old gent about his pipe tobacco choice in the grocery store parking lot and and he fled as if approached by the devil himself.

I live in an area where there are significant amounts of pipesmokers, and not everyone who smokes a pipe wants to talk about it. Think about it like this, if a guy smokes cigarettes, most likely if someone came up to them and wanted to start talking about brands, they would probably be very skeptical in this day and age. It's like someone coming up and asking you about a wart on your face.

Pipe clubs are a little different. There are many guys out there in the world buying Grabows and smoking their boxes and boxes of Carter Hall, one right after the other. I actually know more of these type guys. They think these expensive Savinellis and Luxurious Petersons are ridiculous for a thing that someone smokes till it's time to throw it away. Pipe clubs are more for those who are like us, guys who want to try many new blends, check out fancy pipes, and talk, talk, talk.

I've read quite a few encounters on here, between "our" kind of guys running into other pipesmokers in the wild and getting the cold shoulder. It sounds quite reasonable to me. The whole notion that smoking a pipe makes someone a gentleman is absolute crap. It just might be a pipe smoker that steals your car or sets your barn on fire. Because there are many a guy who chose to smoke a pipe because they just want to keep the nicotine strolling through their system, nothing more. Or, maybe their jaw is sore, so they are laying off the Red Man to use the pipe instead for a while.

Posted 1 week ago #
  32. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fortunately I can walk, chew gum, and smoke a pipe all at the same time.

I actually attempted that precisely once. Several months ago. I'm still recovering from my injuries.

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   svii, ben88, redeye, jaygreen55, papipeguy, fishnbanjo, spartacus, georged, renfield, pipestud