PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
I want to pass along this tip I found while googling around to try to find a place to get a new cork gasket put into my calabash. If your bowl is fitting loose you can apply steam to the cork gasket to bring it back to life and make the bowl fit properly again. I will now be smoking my calabash again regularly thanks to this tip. I hope some folk on here find this tip useful.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Great tip. The cork does tend to dry out if not used on a regular basis. I have not smoked mine in several years but luckily the cork seems to be fine. My Pioneer calabash is about 40 years old and I don't know what I'd do if the cork went. Any recommendations on replacement?

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
Aside from sending it out for replacement, if you are looking for a do it yourself fix I've seen mention of using cork gasket material from the hardware store or cork gasket material used for repair of woodwind instruments.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Music stores sell a cork lube for wind instruments. I'm sure that could work to keep it moisturized and making it easier to remove if needed.

jack87

Lurker
Jun 24, 2012
the issue I have with my calabash is the screw in stem is super loose. I may end up trading it because though I love it I feel like others could enjoy it more. Its a two hour minimum smoker. with a young child I never have that much time.

Aug 1, 2012
Cork grease, cheaper than a tube of chapstick and your cork will last for decades even if you remove the bowl every day.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
I replaced the cork in several calabash. I looked at the gasket material at an auto place, and it appeared to have some black stuff used as a glue. I did not inquire, but all I could think of was how it looked like rubber. I wondered what it would smell like when it got hot.
I went to an office supply store and bought some cork tiles; you can get it in rolls also. Worked just fine. I used a hide glue that I got at WoodCraft. Never had one fail yet.
anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.