PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Just wondering. Their website is closed, and the phone number Google shows just rings. They are about a 45 minute drive from my house, and I hate to go all the way there to be disappointed.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, that doesn't sound good. I know Mel retired last year, but I thought he turned it over to his daughter and he was going to work part time. I'll try and slip by, its a 45 minute round trip off the turnpike for me, so I'll give it a shot when I have that time.

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
I saw Mel last nite at CI Hamburg Pipe Guild. Shop is def still open. Daughter runs the shop during the week. Mel is definitely there on Saturdays.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Excellent! Hope to get down there this weekend or next. Thanks, decigar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For independent pipe shop owners who are weighing retirement, I think the FDA activity is a challenge. No one wants to grow into retirement age with a fading business on their hands. The fun is having a going concern with lots of customers and company to keep it buoyed up. It sounds like the "not very chatty" daughter didn't enjoy minding the shop, and you can't blame her if she didn't have some innate interest in pipes, tobacco, or retail. So few pipe shop proprietors have a second generation who wants to take up the business. My own shop proprietor has a great son, who teaches, but the pipe shop just isn't his thing. He happily takes over the counter to get his folks to take time off, but he's not going to take the shop when his dad decides to retire.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mel sent this email out today:
Wingenroth Pipe Shop
706 Cumberland St
Lebanon PA 17042
717 273 7727

Regretfully, on Friday, September 30, 2016, Wingenroth Pipe Shop wil be terminating business.

The current **edit** in Pennsylvania has finally succeeded; via a 55 cents per ounce tax on pipe tobacco; in making doing business in this state unsustainable.

By my current estimate, it would cost between 6 to 8 thousand dollars ( based on current inventory ) just to keep the doors open upon the remittance of the extortive floor tax placed on existing inventory which the state requires.

I am sincerely grateful for all the wonderful companies and dealer representatives I have had the pleasure of meeting and working with since acquiring Wingenroth Pipe Shop in 2000.

Kindest Regards

Mel J Hemperly

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I finally made the hour and a half trip out to Wingenroth Pipe Shop today. It was well worth the time. The deal on tins and bulk tobacco are incredible because of the shop closing soon. Mel was asking if I had a pipe with me and offered me some samples. As he was talking, the voice faded as I took in the selection that was in front of me. I couldn't believe my eyes. So many tins of different and excellent tobaccos. The place is amazing! There will never be another shop like this again due to the nonsense that is going on in the industry. I urge every pipe smoker from far and wide to make the trip to this fine little shop. I would drive hundreds of miles to visit another shop like this.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
There's 20 days until the shop closes and there is ultra-mega stock left. Give a call. It's worth a shot. I think he opens back up on Monday at 9:30 am.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Bout an hour and a half from me as well. If I can find some time this week, I might take the journey.

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
Made my last trip today. I'll be out of town the next 2 weekends, so I knew I had to get there today or never.
I've only been going in there since January, so of course, I finally become aware of a B&M shop w/in 25 minutes, and they close down 9 months later. Mel always impressed me, as he could greet me by name by my second visit to the shop. I bought 3 estates from him over the last several months (including today's, "Carey Magic Inch"), and countless tins. Today he told me to load up on the Presbyterian, and I got a tin of John Cotton 1&2, which I'll probably end up really enjoying and won't be able to get anymore.
But the best thing I got today was a big box full of Wingenroth boxed matches. Enough to last me a few years. I will certainly miss the shop and Mel.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
It's a magical place for a pipe smoker. I'm thinking about selling some stocks before my last trip out there. Wifey could think of a lot of "better" things to spend the money on but I'm not sure I share her vision at this time. My TAD and PAD are eating away at me.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Coyote, the deals are great there right now. I did pretty well myself when I was there. All to a sad end though. I'm kicking myself for not making it a regular stop before the clear out. It's just a great place with great people. We'll never see another shop like it again, at least in Pennsylvania.

Status
Not open for further replies.