PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Found info describing some Vauen Dr Perl Pipes as having a P-Lip(copy of a Peterson Pipe) but is this one a system pipe as well? I tried to put a pipe cleaner thru it and never got it thru. Maybe I didnt try hard enough. Is there a way to tell a system pipe somehow?
Vauen1.jpg

Vauen2.jpg

Vauen3.jpg

Thanks

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Vauen Dr. Perl is not a system pipe. They are usually 9 mm filter pipes.

Now Vauen Luxus has a p-lip(like peterson) and a white dot(like Dunhill) on stem.

They both great smoker with or without filter.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
It my first P-lip. It is a 9mm without the filter. I do like the way it hangs. I dont wear my false teeth that much so I hold the pipes I smoke in my hand. However I did happen to have my teeth in today and its convenient to smoke while driving biting and resting on the chin. It smokes fairly cool with little effort on a draw with the 9mm bore. On the down side false teeth cover the upper pallet and negate the taste buds sensitivity there. This one does have nice looking briar and weighs less than I thought it would be.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Good grab, I was pleasantly surprised by how well my Dr. Perl smoked when I got it. Definitely underrated pipes.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I have a vauen ascot. Love it. Their website does state they purposely offset their holes high. i didn't read why just assumed it was like a pete and went on looking for what i went there for.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I found two pin holes in the stem! They were visible in the listing but I overlooked them. They are on the curve of the stem. Looks like a heated needle was used. Distance apart is like a staple. I can fill them with JB weld or super glue but Im debating it still. I can cover them with my finger but its uncomfortable as they are in an awkward place. Reminds me of my Kaywoodie Carburetor or it may be similar to the Magic Inch pipes. Im just not that crazy about the holes. If the pipe is stoked up real good they do help with cooling the smoke on such a large bore. I cant say I really want them there. I already have a carburetor like I said and I would rather pull slowly.
I think I'll fill them I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.