Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Pipe show "special edition" tobacco tin art and tobacco blends are one of the many enjoyable eccentricities of pipe smoking and a favorite collectable of mine. But do the new FDA regulations mean the end of these tins? Can't they just put an "old standby" inside and still have the commemorative labels? Can they just pre-print labels during now for future years like "Chicagoland Pipe Show 2028" then paste them on later?? Does anyone knows whether we'll see these tins in the future?
Plugugly

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
With the regulations I think we will see more and more FDA BS graffiti thus ruining tin art. what you suggest would be up to the blender/supplier, if handed out empty tin or just the lable then no requirement for the "WARNING" but sounds like a good idea

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
That will be a real problem. You can "repurpose" a predicate blend, but the maker would still have to file for standard equivalency, which would cost much more than they could hope to make from the sale of the blend at a show. The recent ruling would allow the manufacturer to change the label art, but the blend would have to be sold under its original name. There are so many hoops to jump through that I think it unlikely that anyone will do something like this. I suspect that the FDA will send people to shows in the future looking for things like this.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think FDA enforcement will be a hot issue. Can you imagine sending an undercover regulator to a pipe show when the lack of examiners allows visiting large food processing and pharmaceutical plants only once every fifty years or so? That would be a set-up for scandal and investigative reporting.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Couldn't a pipe show come up with a blend and just release the recipe to those attending? Have a table where the basic leaf ingredients and toppings could be purchased and the buyer would create the blend thus getting around FDA regulations.......just a thought as I sit here sipping on a cob of LNF. :puffpipe:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I think FDA enforcement will be a hot issue. Can you imagine sending an undercover regulator to a pipe show when the lack of examiners allows visiting large food processing and pharmaceutical plants only once every fifty years or so? That would be a set-up for scandal and investigative reporting.
I can tell you I have a friend that runs a business making/selling smoked food products and there are regulators/inspectors there on a very regular basis.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I know the IPCPR trade show in NOLA was raided by the ATF years ago for tax evasion on samples but pipe shows are small potatoes but i suppose I could remotely see a local or state tax or licensing authority trying to make a buck off a large show like Chicago. 8O

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The money paid to get tobacco approved will pay the regulators to enforce the rules. Self sustaining enforcement. The big meat facilities have FDA inspectors on site.
Off topic, but noteworthy......I had an buddy who ran off-road tours on ATV's in the Desert Southwest and they would come across shards of pottery every now and then. He put several of the shards on rocks near the trails so the tourists could easily see them. Someone ratted him out and the Feds signed up to do the tours, undercover of course, they did the tours 7 times, just to make sure and gather photographic evidence. He was eventually fined $75,000 and had to take cultural sensitivity classes. Btw, the $75,000 fine, it was the cost of the investigation.
Another point. I've assisted in criminal defense cases in the past where I helped the defendant fight off charges that the ATF had arrested him on. I know from first hand experience how many resources the government brings in if they think they can make an example of you. Btw, the defendant sat in jail for 2 1/2 years before being found NOT GUILTY. Good luck suing the feds after something like that.
MSO, investigative reporting? That ship has sailed, a victim of short attention span theatre and the 24/7 news cycle. Besides, who's paying for the reporting, that's the true rub.
So in summary, if the feds get a bee in their bonnet they don't care the cost. They bring the weight of the government down on you.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
There are so many hoops to jump through that I think it unlikely that anyone will do something like this. I suspect that the FDA will send people to shows in the future looking for things like this.
Ah, what Big Government does best! First create fantastically needlessly complicated and expensive obstacles to things that were not even an issue, then invest even more time and money into making sure it is all enforced, all to no good end! Private entrepreneurs are put out of business and the citizenry is further harmed all the while government grows bigger and more expensive to pay all those high paying pointless positions with no accountability and great benefits!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Wonderful isn't it! Just remember Reagan's saying about the nine most frightening words.....'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.