PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well, not long ago I got me a Castello SeaRock medium Liverpool shaped and the carving on pipe reads as US Castello SeaRock KKKK reg nro 66171 Made in Cantu Italy -Kino, ad this US led me to thinking if this was something like export for U.S and Canadian market?

Oct 7, 2016
And the registration numbers show up from time to time (a) to keep the trademark active and/or (b) to give a retro look to a shape made like it was years ago. As noted previously, the pencil shank 12 had virtually disappeared from the market. The US stamp started to get seen around 1998, but Marco of Niveloi, who is also the US distributor, distributes to other countries as well, including China. And a friend in Singapore got one of these "retro" 12's a few months back at a shop there , also with the US stamp. I don't know if Marco even bothers with the N1 (Novelli) stamp these days

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
the registration numbers show up from time to time (a) to keep the trademark active

Bingo. They release odd one-offs pipes with old stamps periodically simply to keep the patent/marks active. Some guys collect these rare birds, but the value is not much added.

Oct 7, 2016
The registration # on the 12's is at least a 3 off, Neal. Mine, Pauis and my friend in Singapore. All pencil shanks, all stems like Paul's. (from his post in the other thread.) Mine has the two tone funed top finish reminescent of those days (which Castello does on other shapes

as well from time to time.) So, as you imply, the stamp does double duty, trademark protection and a nice touch for collectors.
I am reminded of the white stem/black dot Castellos. Back in the 1990's, word got out that these pipes existed and were rare because they only made a few to keep the trademark alive. I saw a Sea Rock change hands at a show for more than US full retail new (at a time when most new Castellos came in at a discount on the grey market) and it had been smoked. Every Castello collector in the country wanted one. The then US agent explained this to Franco Coppo, and within a year or so everyone who wanted one had at least two. Including moi.
BTW, Bollito has one now, but with the longer stem that was also used in those days. But apparently no registration #.
Bollito 12

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
Adding to what Old Geezer said, Bob Hamlin was the US importer back when, and he started having Castello stamp "US" on his pipes for the purpose of the warrant.
I have a 6" long GG 75 with the white stem. It will be one of the last pipes I will ever sell. :D
Mike

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
AT47N4a.jpg

Oct 7, 2016
[/quote]
I have a 6" long GG 75 with the white stem. It will be one of the last pipes I will ever sell. :D
I had a red stained GG 32 OA with the white stem. Economics dictated getting rid of it, but damn it was pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.