PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
This was 1 of 3 50+year-old briar blocks that I purchased on ebay a few years ago. Is this beast able to house a pipe, or would it be best to split it into 2 pieces?
plateau-1-600x449.jpg

plateau-2-600x449.jpg

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Looks like it could be saved. You'll have to let the briar "speak" to you and re-configure your ultimate shape around the crack. It's rather odd that it cracked that way. Possibly the block wasn't dried slowly enough after boiling at the briar mill. I personally have never had a block crack that extreme. Usually I'll find just some small, shallow cracks that aren't too deep. And I've lived in some pretty dry climates, too (Arizona and Colorado).
Best of luck with your carving.
CACooper

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Safest bet is to cut in two pieces. Chances are pretty good that that crack goes deeper than it appears. The crack can be microscopic deeper down and you may not see it until the shank snaps off unexpectedly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Higher risk for a bigger reward or a bigger mishap down the road. Interesting moment. Let us know what you

decide. Doesn't look like the crack goes into the center ... but I know zip.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I would cut the shank from the base of the bottom corner and get rid of everything from 1/4" past the crack back and cut the bowl from the larger peice remaining to be sure

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Thank you all. It will be a while before I have the tools necessary to actually do any carving, but I was wanting some insight and input before it got to that point.
Regarding the briar itself, I am sure the cracked grain goes deeper in the briar..just a gut feeling. I am unsure if the crack was there from the beginning. I think it was, but its been a while. They have been in a drawer all that time, with no real extensive fluctuation of temperature.
I am wanting to make a freehand plateau version of a bavarian type, so cutting the briar apart at the split should not have much of an effect. Once split, I can let the briar tell me what it wants.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Personally I thonk I'd try to remove the cracked portion and work from there. If it goes deeper, or not, you can alter your plans when you see the condition under there. If you split it first there's no going back. Just a though to ponder. :puffpipe:

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Its a real quandary. If I try and remove the cracked portion and carve around it, if the cut goes deeper still, then I would have lost a lot of briar, and my alternate plans would be compromised.
I think it would be best to simply make a decision, this one being to split it into two, and then work those two pieces separately. I would rather create the alternative than to lose out on both.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
looks like it might work if you reverse the orientation and use the crack as the backside of the bowl. You would have lost to work with on the stem, but, that is how you get deep enough to get beyond the fissure.

I wonder if you could cut it out and then do a hot oil treatment? Then get along with the shaping.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
The original pencil sketch is incorrect. It will be reversed. What I will end up doing is simply have the plateua briar be the bowl, shaped, and incorporate the stem with other products. Bamboo will enter into part of it, actually. I won't be able to work on it until well after the new year, when i get the tools.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two smaller bowl pipes could be just as rewarding, if no other cracks are in there. You might even work in

some plateau.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I agree with newbroom. Use the crack for the back of the bowl. Could get a pretty dublin or a really great freehand out of that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.