PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
The walls on this pipe look pretty thin to me, but I'm no expert. I know that a lot of pipes are just that way, but this one looks excessively so to me. To bad, I really like the look of it. What do you guys think?

Stanwell Royal Bark

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
s-l1600-600x450.jpg

s-l16001-600x450.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
The walls of the bowl look to be quite thin, and I don't think Stanwell made it that way. At least I've never seen one like that. The sandblast seems off too. Very nice on the left side but almost missing on the right. I'm not a fan of it's condition, so I'd probably pass, especially at that price. But that's just my opinion.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I didn't even look past the thin walls, didn't even see that flat spot on the side. Yeah that looks pretty bad. I had already ruled out bidding on it. I was looking at it on my phone, didn't even see that bad spot. Wow, how can they ask that much for it?

May 31, 2012
Wow, how can they ask that much for it?
That's the same seller who is selling a current in-print book for way above the list price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-411-PAGE-CATALOGUE-BBB-TRADEMARK-PIPES-THE-BIBLE-OF-BBB-VINTAGE-PIPES-/371564713595?hash=item5682fb967b:g:DGUAAOSw7FRWWtxl
Here's the book at SmokingPipes:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/books/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=58252
:crazy:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Mr GreenFelt ebay guy overreams and over buffs the majority of his pipes. I see that green backdrop often while browsing ebay. Even if it's a shapeless blob, shiny sells on ebay. :crazy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
This does raise the question?

How thin is acceptable?

My guess is that anything less than 3/16" is not worth owning, unless it is purely art.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The hack marks in the chamber are easily visible. And the chamber rim is badly out of round. That's a good example of an original owner who used a knife to take cake out and had no regard to the consequences. Really pretty common. I buy a lot of pipes in questionable shape, and I'd pass on that one.
Keep an eye out for another one like it. There are lots of Stanwells out there. You will get a better one. Probably pretty soon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Over-reamed for sure. Hack mark striations jumped out at me.
Check out PC's new Stanwells (unless you don't like new pipes). Their prices are often excellent.

Jan 8, 2013
Have any of you read this sellers descriptions of his pipes? WTF!... :rofl:
Quite often Haha! I see his pipes come up all the time while I'm browsing Ebay. I've never bought from him, but I can never resist reading his descriptions :rofl: Always good for a laugh.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One Thing I Dislike as much as ALL CAPS is Stupid and Gratuitous Capitalization in the body of A Message, Dayammmmm!
But it does amuse, the interminable "description".....

Status
Not open for further replies.