PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I just received a beautiful Peterson 80s Aran in the mail today and noticed that the draft hole looks to be drilled a bit high. The only other pipe I own with a high draft hole is an Irish Second 303 system which, as an aside, has a terrible gurgle. Is this high draft hole common to the 80s?
fd3df453-28ae-452d-bc93-e90777f08343-600x600.jpg

1ffa75e4-11d3-4954-8407-3ce6f4594d04-600x600.jpg

d0942746-851a-415c-8129-95b6883531e1-600x600.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The 80s is a 1/4 bent. It's not the drilling I'd expect, but if it passes a cleaner....
I have a Ryan Alden 1/4 Bent that is high drilled. I'm no pipe maker, but ......

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
That's great to know! More than the high drilling, I think I'm more concerned about the small pocket or void just below the draft hole collecting moisture.

I purchased the pipe from tobacco pipes, perhaps they can shed some light.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Pretty standard for a Pete - all the stummels are built to take a 9mm filter (for the European market) leading to a big plenum space in the non-filter models, and worse-than-necessary drilling because the mortise is longer than needed. So.. the answer is, that's crummy drilling, and absolutely standard for a bent Peterson with a push tenon.
That's just the way it is.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Sasquatch, thanks for the info. I did send the images to TobaccoPipes and they confirmed that the other Pete 80s' they have on had are drilled the same way. They offered to take the piece back and pick up the return shipping - great service all around. I just need to decide whether or not to take a chance on this pipe gurgling due to the large plenum (thanks for teaching me this term) space.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
As long as the tenon doesn't reach all the way down and obstruct that airway, it will probably smoke just fine. If the tenon is long enough to reach all the way into the mortise (I doubt this) then it will restrict the airflow severely. But I suspect it's well short. Take a draw on the pipe - if it's really tight or whistling horribly or something, maybe you don't want it. But my guess is it'll be just fine.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
That's great to know! More than the high drilling, I think I'm more concerned about the small pocket or void just below the draft hole collecting moisture.
Draft hole seems a bit high, but I have a couple Pete’s like that as well. Regarding the 9mm filter well, I break off the head of a Q-tip & put it in there. It soaks up the moisture & makes for a dry smoke.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
+1 on everything sasquatch said. I have an old 80s with the same questionable drilling, and despite this, no problems. BTW, I think the 80s is the most comfortable pipe ever made.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
bent1 - what a great q-tip tip. Thanks for that!

sasquatch, I appreciate your input. The pipe draws just fine with no whistle.
In an update - I spoke with Ben, one of the owners of TobaccoPipes and he offered to let me try out the pipe before making a decision to keep it! I've never experienced such generous customer service before and wanted to mention it here because I was so impressed with their obvious desire to please their customers. This is the first time I've ever purchased or dealt with TP and am well impressed. You can't beat that kind of offer. Please give them some business.
I plan on smoking the pipe this weekend and will post about my experience here if anyone might be interested.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Poor drilling. I have a Dracula that is drilled high on the shank and won't pass a pipe cleaner unless I remove the stem. I won't purchase another Peterson, that's for sure. Savinelli is a much better engineered pipe.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
...offered to let me try out the pipe before making a decision to keep it!

What!??
And if you don't keep it will they still sell it as new or would they send it back to Peterson? They better clarify that. Not sure I wanna buy pipes from then based on this.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Olkofri, based on my few dealings with TP, I'm convinced they are above board and would not try to pass a used pipe off as new. Their aim is to provide the best service possible in order to win over customers and do so with integrity.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've never bought a pipe from them, but have bought tobacco. I do like them and recommend them, hence my alarm; especially because they don't sell estates like SPC.

Status
Not open for further replies.