Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016
I didn't want to thread-jack the guys recent Tinsky thread with my question, but it reminded me that I had picked up a new one that I wanted to ask about, because I'm not sure about what is going on in the bowl.
The wood around the draught hole is farther back than the walls above it. There is almost like a "shelf" of wood going across, above the draught hole. There seem to be grooves in a pinwheel pattern from this "shelf", going down to the middle of the bottom of the chamber. But the walls on the opposite side go down to the middle of the bottom of the chamber smoothly. There was a coating, but I wiped that out. Even with the coating, you could see some of what was underneath, mostly the "shelf", and some of the pinwheel pattern.
These pics are bad, but you should be able to see what I am talking about.
25712744568_92048a6976_z.jpg

38874380754_53884028c7_z.jpg

38874380924_652fd7346d_z.jpg

38874380984_3f2f58b0aa_z.jpg

Is this a dud, or is it supposed to be like that? I looked around online and found a few Tinskys with pics of the chambers, and did not really see what I have going on here.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I don't understand. What are you concerned about, and why remove the coating? The craftsmanship looks very good to me, for what you're showing. Can we see the pipe?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The airway can hit the bottom of the bowl a little differently from pipe to pipe, but this looks fine, a little lower than some, but nothing that would keep me from buying a pipe. Unless there is something I am missing, I say this one is okay.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It was drilled low, then the chamber deepened with an end mill to fully "meet" the airway.
Is that normal? No, but it's an easy fix for an error that COULD have been a problem if left unaddressed.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Hahahaha. Good one, woodsroad! To the O.P. Quit fiddling with it and just smoke the dang thing! It's nothing that a couple bowls of carter hall can't fix!

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Or you could always just take a little bit of sand paper and smooth out that area above the draft hole. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm inclined to smoke it as is to see what happens.
I bet you like sky diving and Rally driving at night, too.
You realize the additional wood exposed by those chatter marks could cause a megaton-class explosion, right? In fact, it's far more likely than not.
Pipe smokers... fearless alpha males every one of us! 8)
e5_Qb_MEs.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hahaha! That gave me a good laugh, Woodsroad!
I guess the amount of concern I would have about this situation would depend on how much money was spent on the pipe. If it was a $20 Stanwell I wouldn’t give it a second thought (although, I seriously doubt you would see that from Stanwell). If it was a $6,000 chonowitsch pipe, I might give it a second thought.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Smoke it....or get a rounded dowel with some 320 grit sandpaper and sand it to remove the chatter...and then smoke it. I'm sure the end mill radius matched the profile of the chamber bit, but when you take it and drill maybe 1/8" deeper...you get a ridge...and then the buyer removes a perfectly good bowl coating and reveal the details in all their glory....He probably would have preferred to use the chamber bit to drill it just a bit deeper- probably didn't have a big enough drill chuck on a hand drill to chuck up the chamber bit, so had to switch over to the end mill...The joys of pipemaking!...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Smoke it....or get a rounded dowel with some 320 grit sandpaper and sand it to remove the chatter...and then smoke it. I'm sure the end mill radius matched the profile of the chamber bit, but when you take it and drill maybe 1/8" deeper...you get a ridge...and then the buyer removes a perfectly good bowl coating and reveal the details in all their glory....He probably would have preferred to use the chamber bit to drill it just a bit deeper- probably didn't have a big enough drill chuck on a hand drill to chuck up the chamber bit, so had to switch over to the end mill...The joys of pipemaking!...

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I used to make pipes, and I would not have accepted something like this. That said, I don't think it will affect the pipe's smokability, but it might make it more difficult to get a proper cake.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I don’t think Mark would send out a pipe with serious internal flaws. Smoke it and if you have any problems, I’ll bet Mark would replace it. He is a stand up guy.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It really shouldn't effect the smoke, but yeah, it probably should have been sanded smooth before being sent out. Things slip sometimes. Before sanding it, I would have recommended contacting Mark, but now that you have fiddled, just be happy that you have a nice pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Being that the only tools I own are a screwdriver, hammer and a vice grip, I would have contacted the seller and asked them to take it back. I should not be expected to fix something that is clearly an issue. If the pipe smokes wet, I would return it.

Status
Not open for further replies.