PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
So, I'm worried, I recently picked up a new Pete system #304. I've been pretty on it smoking it slowly and all that. I let my wife smoke it 2 nights ago and now I'm looking at it and at the top of the draft hole inside the bowl (between the bowl and the well) the wood is charred and when I touched it with the pick of my pipe tool it came apart. Now logic tells me that this is the thinnest part of the bowl and that it's probably pretty fragile, but I'm also paranoid that I'm gonna burn up my new pipe.
Thoughts? Remedies?
ETA: it's just a little bit of the wood there, but I'm worried that any is bad.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have had a couple of pipes that had a little tag of wood on the edge of the draft hole left over from the drilling.

I just use a small U shaped carving chisel to cut it away.

You may have had a tag like that that just burned because it was very thin.
I don't think it will prove to be a problem.

But, that is just a guess on my part.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I've done a little digging around since the first post. It appears that two things are going on. One, the angle at which the draft hole is drilled can contribute to the issue, but more importantly two, it got smoked hot and without sufficient break-in. I'm glad I learned the lesson on a pipe that I'm not as attached to as my Deluxe, but I'm pissed at myself for not being more attentive.
The damage doesn't appear to be extensive, but I am going to see if I can get some cake to build on there (I put a little bit of syrup in there to see if that will accelerate it. The other lesson I think I've learned is not to let my wife smoke my newer pipes (but it wasn't her fault, she just didn't know what to look for).

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
You must have the perfect wife. You're Pretty cool so i wouldn't expect less. As far as your issue goes, I have no idea what you're even trying to say. :lol: Is the hole burnt up? All mine are except the Charaltan the Cigrmaster gave me. I even have pipes where the area around the hole is concave from someone putting the flame to it i think. I never make it to the bottom. By the time i get to the 2/3, or .66 as the Canadians say(that was a joke) the tobacco tastes bad to me so i dump it. But if you are paying 300-500 dollars or whatever for a pipe, it shouldn't burn up.. Right?? I'm probably way off the mark aren't I???? :roll:

joshy

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2011
Well if anything caking should sturdy it up a bit. Hopefully that'll do the trick and you'll have a new favorite pipe. :D

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Shawn, I am a very lucky dude. The draft hole is the hole at the bottom of the bowl that carries smoke out through the stem. In this case the wood around that hole has burned some.
Hopefully the cake will build and it won't be an issue,but through the answers I've gotten and little bit of info I've found, I think it'll live.
Thanks for the help everyone! :D

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I'm not sure but would a thin layer of pipe mud (made from cigar ash and water) be helpful in your case. I had a churchwarden that had been reamed to bare wood and I added a thin layer of this mud to the bowl. After it had completely dried, I smoked 1/4 a bowl in it. I think I've smoked it about 3 times now and the mud seems that it aiding in the cake formation.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
It seems to me like it would be fine. Just take it easy and smoke her slow and give her more time than usual to break-in. Maybe also consider some pipe mud like lankfordjl suggested. However, if it does continue to burn, there may be an imperfection there that Peterson may have to answer to. Where did you get the pipe from?

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I picked it up new at a B&M out here in Rockwall. I'm sure I could hit up Peterson, but I will say that I smoked a nice, slow bowl of 1Q in it at lunch time after putting a little bit of syrup in the bowl and it's already got a thin layer building on it. I just don't want to make it worse.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
That's good to hear. Make sure to keep a good eye on it. I love the look of the Pete 304's. Hope she keeps serving you well.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I thought about it, but honestly, I figure it was probably my own dang fault, and I think I've addressed it. But I appreciate the info! :D If it were a higher end pipe I definitely would work with them on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.