PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bttreadwell

Lurker
May 4, 2017
Hey guys, just opened an aged tin of McClelland No. 22 and just want to make sure this isn't mold. I think it may simply be crystallization, but want to make sure. It is hard and rough and doesn't come off easy. The tin was dry so I am rehydrating. Thanks for the help.
BT

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Hmm... That looks similar to what went on in a tin of MmC blending perique that I had. My assumption was that the tin lining was corrupted. Tobacco looked fine, so at least there was that. I'd also be interested to hear people's opinions as to the cause of the mystery. Glad it's not just MY tins that are haunted lol

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I agree looks like rust or some oils from the tobacco, even if it's mold what's the worst that could happen?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Enjoy it! If the oils are still around, then you should have some decent results rehydrating it. Don't hit it directly with moisture though.
Put it in a bowl and drape a distilled water soaked washcloth (rung out as to not be dripping wet) over the top. Check the tobacco and rewet the cloth a few times throughout the day. After a few days you should be back in business! This is the only method that has ever worked for me in bringing back aged compromised tins, as long as the oils are still present.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
It's just rust. The coating inside the can has been marginally compromised, but the tobacco is fine. Migrate the contents, and toss the can. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.