PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciceronian

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
I carefully reamed down some of the massive cake buildup, but with some of the damage along the rim of the bowl and the amount of cake still sticking around, I'm wondering if this guy is just shot. And if not, if anyone has any tips/tricks on breathing life back into it.
http://imgur.com/NT2nr1v
http://imgur.com/0dpXxdr
EDIT: I meant to post this in pipe repair; my apologies. If a mod could move it there that'd be great.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Are you sure its meerschaum? How old is this pipe? The reason I ask is I have come across pipes with these sort of liners in the past but they seem to be made of something similar to fire brick clay that is used for gas mantles. If it is meerschaum try some very fine sand paper and be careful the liner is not asbestos which was used as a pipe liner in the late 1940s.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Some of the meer-lined pipes are indeed lined with something else. I actually suspect "chip," "pressed," "Vienna" meerschaum, which is scraps, ground, mixed with a binding agent and pressed. I KNOW some modern meer-lined pipes use this. I suspect that's what makes the old, used ones look like crumbling clay but, yes, as far as I know, when it starts to fall apart like that, the only thing you can do is remove it.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
That is a briar pipe with a meerschaum lined bowl. Meaning that when they made it, they took a regular pipe and, for lack of a better term, mudded the inside of the bowl with meerschaum paste. Very few of these had an actual meerschaum bowl glued inside the briar. Neither are removable and they usually crumble if reamed out with a Castleford or Pipnet reamer ( the ones with various OD heads and the handle ).

What you could do is even out the meerschaum lining with some fine grit sandpaper. Once the lining is gone, it's still usable to a certain degree, but methinks it would be better suited for a pipe room ornament.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I would say no, but you should see the handy work someone did on one of my dads old pipes.... I've smoked it. Has a horrid ghost and not sure how to rid it besides smoking it. So hard to though!! It is really that bad of a ghost.
I agree that it doesn't look like meer though

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Nothing wrong with carefully reaming Meers, although I normally use a sharp pipe knife with a blunt end, then sandpaper. If there's heavy cake inside a Meerschaum bowl, you can't do much more damage taking a reamer to it; you can carefully over-ream it, get rid of the charred/clogged area, and make it all better.

Aug 14, 2012
I had a pipe like that when I was a teenager. It was junk. I threw it away. Yes you can ream meerschaum, if that is what it is.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
A guy recently came to our pipe club with a similar pipe. The difference was that his meer lining had cracked around the bottom and basically would slide out of the bowl. The above comments have been really helpful and the advice is either to ream down the meer and get the cake out, ream the meer all the way out, or chunk it. What I have found through the years of pipe restoration is that some pipes can be salvaged and being great smokers are worth the time, but some just can't be saved. And also though many of these old pipes are good smokers many aren't and it would be good to invest in a good pipe like a Nording for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.