Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
This is a Coronet "Foreign Made" bulldog, and was wondering if this hole is supposed to be here. There are several fill spots around the bowl, but this one is not. When looking at it through the chamber, it is right in the center of the chamber. So was this an intentional hole placement? If so, why? Thanks, John.
pc050007-600x449.jpg
pc050001-600x449.jpg

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
I got this in a group of pipes on line, so no. I didn't know it was there before hand.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
It certainly does seem like some previous owner's attempt at drainage, though I would expect it to cause more problems than it solve. It would definitely be strange if the pipe was manufactured that way, but the idea of an individual drilling it is much more probable.

I was thinking that it could have been sort of display pipe, and this was used to hold it on some sort of stand. I can't read the stamp on the pipe, but I am not sure whether being a big name or not would have mattered for whatever the purposes the display would have served. Heck, it could have even been some sort of art thing.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
It's a whistle pipe. It would entertain you while smoking, back before the days of radio, it would whistle while you smoked it.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I was thinking that it could have been sort of display pipe
Yeah that seems equally probable, if not more. The drainage hole theory rests mostly on some ambitious yet uninformed previous owner becoming so tired of the gurgling that they took a drill to their pipe. The display pipe theory makes a lot more sense. But folks make stupid, rash decisions all the time, so I'm not closing the book on the mad driller.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
The pipe could have had a carburetor that the owner removed. Possibly it was pried out; looks rough around the hole. I have a pipe with a carburetor in the same location.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
During the Civil War, soldiers would drill a small hole at the bottom of their pipes, it would serve as a small drain, and provide a nice whistle sound while smoking. Kind of fluty.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
it would serve as a small drain, and provide a nice whistle sound while smoking. Kind of fluty.
In German the word for pipe (Pfeife) is the same as the word for whistle.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
During the Civil War, soldiers would drill a small hole at the bottom of their pipes, it would serve as a small drain, and provide a nice whistle sound while smoking. Kind of fluty.
What a great historical reference! I'm absolutely obsessed with the War between the States, and have a whole bookshelf dedicated to the subject! Where did you read, hear, or discover this anecdote? I especially love to read first-hand accounts of folks who lived through that extraordinary time. There's something about that war, that time, that spirit of human experience which is so vivid and resonant, it just grips at my soul. Anyway, I just ask because I'm always on the lookout for any good material on the subject that I have yet to read/discover and am also just excited to run into a fellow enthusiast.

Status
Not open for further replies.