PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

klpipe

Lurker
May 22, 2019
So I was smoking my new Castello pipe for the first time and noticed it was getting very hot. I put it out as I was aware of pipe burnouts, but there is a black ring starting from the top of the bowl to the middle. I fear I have ruined my pipe. What do you think? The wood is not cracked, just looks blackened. Is my pipe doomed?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Ha! That pipe is still half virgin. No burnout there.

After a few smokes, it will be black all the way down. The burnt tobacco will leave some residue, tar and ashes, and a cake will build up inside the bowl. Google this stuff or ask here and you'll be safe.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm just going to say none of my pipes have turned black on the inside after lighting tobacco on fire and slowly burning it down to the bottom of the bowl. The wood on the inside of the chambers is still as light colored and smooth as the day I bought them.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Seriously though, what were you expecting the inside of your tobacco chamber to look like after burning tobacco in there? Things that make ya go, “hmmm”. This is one of those things.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Sounds like pipestud was the seller. Since he has outted himself I will say that the pipe in question is burnt out and due for a full refund. Or maybe the pipe only needs breaking in. What say you pipestud. :nana:

klpipe

Lurker
May 22, 2019
For those of you who want to see the whole pipe. Thanks for the comments!
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/4411/GNKCFA.jpg

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Sounds like pipestud was the seller. Since he has outted himself I will say that the pipe in question is burnt out and due for a full refund. Or maybe the pipe only needs breaking in. What say you pipestud. :nana:-cgarmaster
I'm pretty sure that I wasn't the seller and shame on whoever was. The interior chamber walls of that pipe darken when tobacco is burned in it!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Lately I'm starting to become way more cautious both with my new and estate pipes that are with naked bowl chambers, since I have tendency smoking a bit hot' now in order to prevent chambers from charring I started applying homemade'bowl coating to chamber walls ,this is done by mixing activated carbon powder with sour cream, then I do apply it with mini paint brush and leave it dry overnight. Agreed, Quite unpleasant but rather necessary procedure in my case,

jjarrett88

Lurker
May 20, 2019
Pipe looks great...... look up breaking in pipes. Once you get a good cake throughout the bowl you will notice it burns cooler and easier with a smoother smoke.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
If you start seeing an isolated spot on the exterior surface of the pipe begin to darken in a pronounced way much faster then the surrounding surface and it seems to get much hotter than the surrounding surface, it could be a sign of a burnout in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.