PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I'm trying to learn what to look for in briar. Is the "smudge" on this pipe an example of a fill?

http://www.smokershaven.com/edward-s-estate-pipe-smooth-full-bent-dublin-unsmoked.aspx

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I'm looking at this on my phone so the pics are small but I cant see a fill in that pipe. What I do see are bald spots where the grain swirls. Probbably had a branch coming out of the burl nearby, which tends to pull the grain.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I didn't see a fill. Which photograph shows the area of concern?
Here's an example and an article about fills, etc.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/pits-fills-and-flaws/

Can you just post the picture? To put an imbedded link violates absolutely no copyrights for anyone, since the image stays at it's current location.
Just right click the image, click "copy image location" and put that in the IMG tab space. It sure makes all of this clicking on link nonsense stop.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I don't see any fills. They can be pink or tan in color, usually anywhere from pinpoint to sharpie point in size. I think the smudgy area you are talking about is just an area of 'mixed'(read: poor) grain.
fill.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Looks like graining to me, and probably looks great in hand, better than the picture. I don't think many leave pipe 'natural' that require visible fills. To call that grain inferior is just a tad judgmental. Granted, it's not got matching bird's eye on top and bottom or side to side, the flame portions aren't all around the pipe and don't continue to the top, (maybe that's a good thing?), but it's a beautiful hunk of briar.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Fills are usually quite obvious in estate pipes. Not as easy to spot in a new pipe. The heat from smoking and the natural darkening of briar end up mis-matching the colors. Samcoffeeman's pick shows this nicely. The fact that we can't see any fills in that estate pipe is a good sign...or the fills are on the other side!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Agreed with the above, a lack of good grain is not a fill. Fills are small areas....like a little cyst, where weaker/poor briar has been picked out a filled with a putty. Usually it doesn't take the same color as the stain.
samcoffeeman has a good example, though they are usually less obvious than that. In most of my pipes its rather subtle, but darker, some of them its actually a bit pink. Think of it more as a small eye than a big smudge.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I couldn't see anything in those pictures.

I snapped a few photos of a fill in my Vauen billiard for you to see.
dsc_1144-600x337.jpg

dsc_11451-600x337.jpg

img_20150416_191732.jpg

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Thanks everyone, I was thinking a fill was something different, it seems. Here's an imbedded image.
029.95.JPG

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Hmm, I think the pin sized cream colored mark may be a fill. It's that fissure inside the bowl that has me raising an eyebrow at the moment.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Just right click the image, click "copy image location" and put that in the IMG tab space. It sure makes all of this clicking on link nonsense stop
When I right click there is no "copy image location" this has been so frustrating that I cant ever get a picture posted here.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Oh as for the pipe I dont see any fills, but there is something on the inside of the bowl that does not look good.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
To get the image URL open the photo in a new window and copy that. When pasting the URL here using the IMG button, you may need to first backspace delete the pregiven http stuff since when you copied the URL from the page with the photo you also got the http part of the address. This works for my iPhone and also my Android tablet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fills are puttied in. Usually they are visible but pretty small. If the pipe is otherwise sound, and the price is adjusted accordingly, I don't think they are a deal breaker and sometimes add a little personality. It surprises me how few fills I find even in modest price factory pipes. If a fill is done right, usually it will last as long as the briar and won't change much with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.