PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
I was wondering if this is able to be repaired? As you can see, the threads are broke, and it looks like the mouthpiece may have been glued at one point and then broken off. Not sure on that, its just a guess. This one is going into my collection, so I would really like to repair it. Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
p7190413-600x449.jpg

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
As far as the stem goes, I have no clue. It was gone when I got the pipe. All I know is it was a bent stem because of the case. As far as color, maybe an amber color, or maybe a tortoise shell. That's just a guess from what is left on the pipe. On the band is a fleur-de-lis. Not sure if it is sterling, again, no markings any where o the piece. Inside the case is "Genuine Meerschaum", "C.P.F" or maybe it is "G.P.F", not sure.
p7190002-600x449.jpg
p7190003-600x449.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Follow sable's advice. I'd be interested to see the repaired pipe if you follow through. It looks like it could be a beautiful piece. When repair people know what they're doing, frequently it isn't as expensive as you'd think, but you could certainly send these pictures and get an estimate in advance. That's a handsome item and might be more valuable to you than a new Meer or most estates.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
I will definitely post pics of it when I get it repaired. It may be a few months, but it will get done. Thanks everyone!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As far as the stem goes, I have no clue. It was gone when I got the pipe. All I know is it was a bent stem because of the case.
Make sure that you send the case with the pipe. That will give some guidance to the restorer when he carves a new stem for it.
As far as color, maybe an amber color, or maybe a tortoise shell.
I've never seen a tortoise shell colored stem from this early period. Black or amber only, or possibly Redmanol.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
It can be repaired. My suggestion is that you send it to Briarville since they work with meerschaum and not every repairer does.
Best advice ever! If it can be fixed, Ric is your guy. He has done lots of work for Condorlover and myself and all top notch...

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
So, just to update, it is off to see the doc. Sent it to RIC yesterday. Fingers crossed.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
An update. Talked to RIC today. He informed me that this pipe is probably from maybe the 40's, most likely from the late 50's or early 60's. Also said that it really wasn't worth the repair cost. Apparently, these weren't good smokers. So it may become a drawer item. Got to give credit to Ric for being honest and straight toward.

Status
Not open for further replies.