PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Nevermind, a quick search yielded the answer I need.
Confirmed it here:

http://estatepipes.co.uk/pipeshop/Singleton-Cole-Silver-Mounted-Billiard-1098#.VODFTC6RYpo
Anyway,

I was unfamiliar with S&C pipes, but this lil bugger caught my eye this morning, after flip flopping because the stem is so messed up, I passed on it having no idea what SCB may stand for, until an hour later I was looking at old tins and saw this:
7SKA5iz.jpg

bRh9T7o.jpg

And it convinced me the acronym was Singleton Cole Birmingham.
I went ahead and threw out the $22,

Vintage c1920s SCB wood bowl with amber mouth piece short smokers pipe
Questions remain.
I'd reckon that the pipe itself is more than likely French.

What say you?
It looks early due to the amber mouthpiece and screw tenon.
Will I be able to sand the amber down and massage it into presentable shape?
The bit looks thick, so there seems to be some wiggle room.
Has anyone here ever restored an amber stem?
Difficult to work with?
Anyway,

it looks to be in fair condition,

and I love these old stubby billiards.
I haven't bought a smooth nonblasted pipe in a long time,

but this one seemed to be worthy of exception!

:)
Nbs8xyf.jpg

yv0gQKn.jpg

F7YuYnG.jpg

YP7umtQ.jpg

Q45a2CS.jpg

3OcWkHo.jpg

DP0MXEQ.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
misterlowercase, I wish I had answers to your questions. All I can say that is that the pipe looks to be worth the gamble. I am sure some more experienced restorers will have something more helpful to say.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Check Steve Laug's Reborn Pipes webblog for some work on Amber stems. Steve also collects pre-War pipes, so I believe he has more than one. I'm mulling over grabbing that Chelsea, which is my youngest daughters name.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Great looking pipes, guys. Both went for a song.
mlc, I haven't had to do much resto on my amber stems, but I have sanded/polished them like you would with vulcanite or acrylic and everything worked out just fined. These were just scratches/rough spots, though. I imagine you have something more elaborate in mind here.
I looked at that pipe a few days ago and figured the bit was shortened, but looking again, it looks like the button is still there. I.e., it's still the original length. That's great! I would think you could just sand down the rough parts and maybe accentuate the button and it will be in pretty good shape. Let us know how it goes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I suspect the Chelsea pipe is Comoy's made as the Shape 341 is a Straight billiard on the Comoy's chart. So, now the '92 Christmas pipe I bought for the SIL can now become his Christmas gift. I'm covered for a while!

May 31, 2012
I would think you could just sand down the rough parts and maybe accentuate the button and it will be in pretty good shape. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the info Wes, I won't be able to ascertain how feasible the whole project will be until I have it in hand, but regardless, this old warrior will be smoked by me and damn how fugged up the 'ol amber may be! Who knows? I may love it as it is, I've been surprised before by such things!
Any relevant updates will be posted.

:puffy:
Al,

Thanks for the pointer to Steve's site - will be looking there for sure!

And congrats on the Chelsea - a fine looking billiard that appears to be quite minty!

:puffy:

K

klause

Troy, you snagged a beauty right there, and the price was almost a give-away.
I must admit to looking at it a few times, and nearly springing for it - but, I've a couple of others I've the eye on, so moved on. I may regret that decision ;-)
However, I think it has gone to the right home - there's a definite vibe about that pipe, and, if anyone can appreciate it, it's you.
For what it's worth, if it was me, I'd just clean and leave the scars as they are - part of the pipes charm is in the signs of love and use.
Al, that's a smashing pipe. Reckon your Son-In-Law will be pleasantly surprised - nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.