PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

birch52

Lurker
Apr 15, 2015
Hello there - this is my first post here. I have been given the task of clearing out a deceased relative's house contents in the UK and have come across this smoking item. Some online research leads me to think this is a Meerschaum pipe. It is in the shape of a skull and is in an old leather case. I have posted up a picture of it here: skull.jpg.
Would be grateful to have confirmation that it is a Meerschaum pipe and anything else that anyone can tell me about it like it's age, value, origin, material made from, etc.
Thank you.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Does appear like it could be meerschaum. The coloring is consistent and the little case it comes in is similar to the handmade ones you get with a meerschaum pipe. I am certainly no meerschaum expert though. Is there a hole in the back of the skull for a pipe stem?
I can tell you this. Your ruler is Shatter Resistant. Hope that helps!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It's probably meerschaum, but isn't it more of a cheroot holder than a pipe? Maybe it doesn't make any difference but it might help narrow your search. Interesting that there is no stem or even a place to store one in the case.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Yes I'm 99.9% certain it is Meerschaum. The stem is missing which hurts value.. It would originally have come out the back of the skull and stuck through a hole in the case just like the bowl sticks out the top.

Age is much harder to pin down without more information. The style could be antique or brand new. Are there any markings anywhere on the inside of the case or carved into the pipe itself ?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You have a late Victorian cheroot holder with a clay holder that seats in the carved meerschaum skull. It would have had a stem that would fit into the back of the skull which normally would have fitted into the case. The skull motifs are not as common as the various carved ladies and such like that tend to show up quite often. They enjoyed a brief vogue into the early 20th century and where replaced with the amber colored holders that you so often see on Oi Vay because described as amber when in reality they are a very early form of bakelite. I hope this is of some help!

birch52

Lurker
Apr 15, 2015
Thank you everyone for your replies. Yes there is a hole in the back of the skull which marries up with a hole in the back of the case so I assume a smoker might keep the skull inside the case while smoking. This has been quite educating - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.