PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredchores

Lurker
Oct 8, 2015
I was in a tobacco shop to get some tobacco and it turned out they had a bunch of estate pipes. Going through the racks of cheapos, I found this guy...
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
Thanks!
- Kevin

--------------------------
83HiXt7.jpg

NXcp6mK.jpg

PJmjgTb.jpg

U5Abimk.jpg

It's beat up AF but it doesn't seem especially burnt out or anything, though the yellow crap is scary and nauseating. I have some pipe kits on the way to practice with, then I'll try to restore it.
qFHo9Vx.jpg

Thoughts? Advice? Is $40 for this thing a good deal? It's a Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro 8004, by the way. Also, don't ask why the stem is so oxidized.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
It really seems like it could be great if restored.

That being said, I know nothing. It's just what I feel when I see it.

In addition, once restored, there would be extra pride for the "self restoration", which will make it even greater !

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It used to be a really nice pipe....in the right hands it can be again. That pipe needs major tlc and it might be worth sending off to a proper restorer if you are looking to get it like new again.

fredchores

Lurker
Oct 8, 2015
Cool. As much as I'd like to send it off to a pro I'm actually looking forward to working on it myself, but hopefully it'll work out

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A good find...well, Giubileo D'Oro, was the top of the line for regular shape Savinelli's, also Fiamatta, and also the four digit shape code...
Savinelli opted for 3 digits shape code in the 1970's.

Prior to this date 4 digits code occured.
So, a good find, YES!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Doubly so since sandblasts were extremely rare within the Golden Jubilee line at that time. :D
All blasts are a lot more difficult to restore---as in make them actually look the way they originally did---than smooths, though. You must retain the undercolor "peek through" to have textural dimension. And whatever you do, don't top the bowl smooth to eliminate chips / ashtray marks. Re-texture and re-finish it to match the rest of the pipe. Finally, don't try to remove that much green by buffing---the three dots are brass, and will stand above the height of the surrounding vulcanite if you do.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
georged, after looking at these pics, what would you charge if you took on a project like this?

I am well aware that you are one of the better pipe restorers. Set the bar, if you will.

I always try to read any of your comments and try to glean every bit of information you provide.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
It will be a great pipe for you after cleaning and restorations. I have a Giubileo D'Oro with the 3 digit shape code that I found at a street fair and had cleaned and polished.

I have been told that only 1 out of every 1000 pipes are given the Giubileo D'Oro stamp.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
There is nothing there that shouldn't refinish well. But like George said stay off the buffer. Other methods are more time consuming but the results will be decidedly better. Good luck and post some pictures as you go along.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Welcome to the forum comrade Joe.
That pipe can certainly be made to look great again. It's rough looking but I see no major issues.
This is all sound advice on restoration, but I would suggest a couple practice rounds on some el cheapo's before attempting to fix up this diamond in the rough.

fredchores

Lurker
Oct 8, 2015
Wow, I'm starting to feel guilty, I was actually thinking of dying it blue and having some fun with it... I've been a utilitarian smoker so far and not a collector, so this is a shift in mindset. I'll definitely look into having a pro fix it up, and at least not mess with it until I know what I'm doing.
georged- has anyone gotten rid of oxidation by chemically reducing the vulcanite? I know swimming shampoos use sodium thiosulfate to help repair hair, so maybe something along those lines might work?

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
You got a nice pipe. Go to eBay and find a few cheap pipes to practice on, which is the route I'm going.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I was actually thinking of dying it blue and having some fun with it...
I'm VERY glad you asked about it here!!! As others have said, that pipe is worth sending to a pro, and not as a learning experience. Lovely ring grain blast, you found yourself a very nice pipe.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
georged- has anyone gotten rid of oxidation by chemically reducing the vulcanite?
Not that I know of, and I've run every claim I've ever come across to ground for many years and never found anything but BS or wishful thinking. (The fountain pen guys also use vulcanite, and they've never found anything, either.)
The hard rubber material we use for pipe stems called Vulcanite or Ebonite is just soft rubber and sulphur mixed together and cooked for a long time with heat. Where it has turned green is like rust on metal. It is molecularly different than what it once was, and the missing electrons cannot be replaced by any sort of chemical rinse. The oxidation must be mechanically removed.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
georged, after looking at these pics, what would you charge if you took on a project like this?

I am well aware that you are one of the better pipe restorers. Set the bar, if you will.

I always try to read any of your comments and try to glean every bit of information you provide.
You are too kind. :D
I've gotten away from the task description model of pricing, and gone to an hourly one. (There are too many overlapping tasks, gotchas, and so forth to itemize and maintain any sense of sanity.)
The catch is you have to have been doing the gig for a long time to accurately estimate how much labor a project will take. :lol:
My present rate for shop work is $25 hr.
In this case the pipe could be brought back to as new as its surviving briar and rubber will allow in 2 or 2.5 hours. It is possible there are hidden issues that would change that, such as a cracked shank or deformed mortise, but such things are relatively rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.