PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnpawn69

Lurker
May 21, 2019
I am very new to the pipe world but among the ever growing mistakes in this fine world is the a pipe for let's say a English or lat tobacco..??

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Some clever guy says that bigger pipes are better for stronger blends because the tobacco burns on larger surface, so it gives softer taste.

It can be true. Or not.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
In my opinion, all pipes have a different "soul" to them. I have found that certain pipes smoke certain blends much better than others, and some pipes can make a blend you love into one you hate. Even pipes of the same name, era and style can smoke differently, atleast to me. With that said, if you are looking for a Pipe that constantly smokes most if not all tobacco blends well, I've herd that a meer is the way to go. I have very little experience to back up that claim however, since I've never owned a meer and have only had the pleasure of smoking one a few times.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
No, no, no....
Every pipe and every tin of tobacco are different. They all have their own unique characteristics. Given that I would advice that the the only way to get full satisfaction is to order a new pipe along with every new tin of tobacco.
Keep in mind that the above advice comes from the guy that owns 6 pipes and smokes four of them on a regular basis :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No immutable rule. You might like different blends in different pipes, or like blends differently in different pipes, or not notice. Meers and cobs (and morta, etc.) each have their virtues. Some pipes likely have blind spots for specific blends. Try what you think will work well, try around a lot, and enjoy what you enjoy. This is another area where pipe smoking is an art not a technology.

Jan 8, 2013
It's all a matter of what works best for you.
a pipe for let's say a English or lat tobacco..??
You don't have to have a certain pipe for a certain blend type. Personally, I like a wide chamber for Balkan/English (lat blends), or more complex blends in general. I find that it brings out all the separate flavors from each component more. I am so convinced by this now, that I will only smoke those blends in a wider chambered pipe. This doesn't mean that those blends won't do well in another pipe. When I first began smoking a pipe and didn't have many different pipes to choose from, I smoked Balkans in what I had on hand. At that time I only had one wide chambered pipe, so I found Balkans enjoyable regardless of what I smoked it in. But now with more pipes, I certainly enjoy them more in the wider chambers.
If you're enjoying those blends in whatever you're smoking them in, that's all that really matters. If you want to experiment with other pipes, that's certainly you're choice to make. I would certainly recommend it. But it all comes down to opinion and we all have different tastes.... Some people like french fries with ketchup, and some people (weirdos) like french fries with mustard :mrgreen:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I too find that some blends taste different as per pipe used. I have some pipes dedicated to certain blends, like for instance for Condor - while the ghosting is an issue, that's not the maine reason - at the end of the day I just tried Condor in different shapes and bowl sizes and I found that one particular pipe in my collection fits best. I also keep certain pipes for certain blend types, again by criteria of trial and error. Flakes, for example, I mostly like in large chambers - a number 4 dunhill pot for example is my choice for flake, or a rossi vulcano. On the other hand, by no means would it be wrong to use whatever you feel tastes best for you. Even if a certain blend for example is a heavy aromatic ghoster, and you like to smoke an english in the same pipe, go right ahead and let nobody tell you that's wrong.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Over the last several years I have bought my pipes based upon how well I think they will smoke my favorite flakes and plugs. I have bought almost exclusively group 4-5 sized pipes as those work best for me. I also dedicate all of my pipes into either genres or specific blends.

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
So I'm still relatively new, so grain of salt,
but with VA and VaPer I'm finding myself more drawn to y billiards, which are all fairly narrow. But english I tend to like better in either my bulldog or my poker. I'm not sure why, but some tobaccos just seem to do better in certain pipes.

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
Cigrmaster- Thats definitely what I seem to be finding. Now I just need to stop buying narrow billiards, and get some more wider pipes. I think PAD is starting to strike again. I blame all of you :wink:

Tall pipes, squat pipes, skinny pipes, fat pipes, big pipes tiny pipes, straight pipes, sort of bent pipes, blasted pipes, smooth pipes, pipes, pipes, pipes... as long as it's not made out of a freakin' piece of corn cob, it's the right pipe. Experiment, think for yourself. I love having variety. It keeps life spicy. :puffy:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
All the pipes I have left after this years big purge are medium sized (group 4) pipes with medium sized chambers (.70 to .75 mm) about 1 1/2" tall. I find they smoke all types of tobacco well... for me. Your cadence, the depth of your draw, your packing methods, and a dozen other things will be different than mine. You just have to experiment and find what works for you.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There are long ones and tall ones, and skooby dooby doo.

Different strokes for different folks!
I like all my pipes for any of my English or Balkan blends, as well as the occasional VA or VaPer.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It really doesn't matter. Pipes find tobacco, and tobacco find pipes. You do what you want and what works sticks. I have pipes dedicated, and tobacco's that go well in whatever. Find what you like by keeping it smokey. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.