Is there a way to "untone" a darkened meerschaum pipe back to white?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrygman

Lurker
Jun 17, 2013
Is there a way to "untone" a darkened meerschaum pipe back to white? I just bought an antique pipe with brown toning on the bottom half of her face. I do not like how it looks can I polish off the toning of this?

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Probably. I imagine whatever chemical you might use would react with the stone and ruin your pipe anyway though.

wannashmooze

Lurker
Jan 21, 2014
Based on some basic chemistry:

The stains are probably complexed within the molecules of the meer itself, so taking it out would probably dissolve the pipe...i wouldn't try it.

Aug 14, 2012
Just paint it white. It will ruin the smoke but look the way you wish. Talking about meerschaums I have a complete set of the Sherlock Holmes meers on my desk. Someone walked in and said "nice ivory pipes." I wonder how many other people thought that and didn't say it.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I hear that all the time foggy. Someone will say "a friend or relative had this ivory pipe". I try to correct them as nicely as I can.

Aug 14, 2012
apatim: I am currently on this site because I can't get up enough interest in doing my taxes, and today is the day set aside for that. In case I ever finish, I will photograph the Petes.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I believe they boil block meerschaum prior to carving to remove impurities from the stone. I would never recommend that course of action, but that could theoretically remove the oils (and the color).

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
foggymountain, I just got all my tax crap together this morning and took it over to my CPA. I'm early this year... normally don't get it to her until August or September.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Despite what you might read, yes you can take the colour out of a meerschaum pipe. I know this because I have done it to mine when it wasn't colouring the way I wanted it to. Did it twice, in fact.
If you have a gas stove, hold the meerschaum above the flame, quite low to it, and the heat will begin to expel the oils (and colour) pretty quickly. Use an old cloth and occasionally wipe it to expedite the process.
It happens quickly. I noticed that when the pipe cooled again, the colour turned further white again. It probably won't ever become pure white, but mine got damn close.
Also, the colouring in my pipe was quite heavy after about a year or so of continuous use. Turned just about as white as a new golf ball.
Good luck.
Note: My pipe was supposedly "high grade", and almost certainly block meerschaum. Maybe pressed will explode in your face, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.