PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I was looking at my collection of pipes today, and was wondering if I have too many. Is there such a thing? Together I have 53. Some I smoke on a regular basis. Others just sit there and get used once in awhile, or only during the summer around a campfire (churchwardens).I have others that have never been touched.

I have three sons, 6 months, 3yo, and 6yo. I three pipes (new) for them when they are old enough, which a tin of Christmas Cheer for the years of their birth. So there is another three.

Anyway I was looking at them and wondering if I should thin the herd. I can remember my Dad having like two or three that he would use and switch out. So my question is, is 53 ish too many? What do most of you have?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
No, like fishing tackle, you can't have too many pipes Your wife may not agree though.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
To me, I like having extra pipes. For when I have a friend who is interested I will let him use one of my extras. Though I do not by any means have 53, but look at as they can be split up evenly to your kids when they get older for them to enjoy.

I really like the idea of getting a pipe for my boys though for when they get old enough.
But like Roth said..I am storing up on Tobacco before the price increase, that way I may have some good aged tins that I can enjoy with my boys with out them having to pay an arm and leg for it when they get old enough.

Dec 24, 2012
Well, I have a collector's mentality to pretty much everything I do as a hobby. I have over 100 pipes now. I have lots of space and don't need the money, so my thinking is that there is no reason to sell them. To be truthful, there are a few pipes I have that I bought early on in my piping career that I would clearly not buy now - if only I knew then what I know now. Will I sell them? Probably not. In order to sell something, you have to devote a lot of time and attention to doing it. I just don't have the time.
Will I buy more pipes? Absolutely, and my wife doesn't care. I have a really stressful job, and I think she sees the pleasure and relaxation I derive when I find and buy a new pipe, and she's ok with that. I have told her that she has to know a lot about my pipes, because she will most likely be the one responsible for selling them when I slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of God.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
The short answer is "no" -- unless you, yourself, decide differently. For me, I've had more than 200 pipes pass through my collection since 1969, most of them Meerschaums. Now, I've kept about 25, and smoke about half of them regularly - more Baki's than any other. Some might say that 25 was too many. Others might think that 25 is too few :) I think 53 is dandy!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I own ten pipes but have six I enjoy smoking on my regular rotation. When I go on smoking jags of 4-6 bowls per day, my pipes don't get enough rest time and go sour. You guys with large pipe inventories don't have to worry about sour pipes.

Aug 1, 2012
No such thing as too many pipes.
Love the idea of the birth-year tins too but why stop there? You can get them each a birth year pipe (not necessarily Dunhill) to go along with.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I don't think any number is too many provided you're being responsible in other aspects of your life. For me, as long as my bills are paid, my debts are being paid off, and there's healthy food in the house, my fiance and I don't care how many pipes I collect with my "mad money". I currently have 16, 7 of which are my regular rotation of good solid smokers, a few more are decent estates, and a couple are projects to-be. I'm sure as the years go by I'll someday have 50 like you and I'm sure each one will have a story behind it.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I have thinned the herd several times but more just seem to take their place. :puffpipe:

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Thanks to all! My bills and everything are being paid, and all that non fun stuff. I got the idea about the tins and pipes for my sons because my 3yo keeps grabbing my cobs!!! And my 6yo likes to look at them too! So have a Boswell 2012 for my youngest, Peterson Dracula for my oldest, cause he loves monsters..And i'm still looking for one for middle child... I thought that when they are older and I'm six feet under (Although I want a viking style funeral, but they tell me its illegal!) they can sit back and hopefully have some fond memories.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
That's very cool to hand down specific pipes! Even if they never smoke, the pipes will surely be treasured and bring fond memories. But hopefully, they will be well loved and used!

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I have over 275 pipes, and still growing. there will never be a end to it , just me. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.