Is there a pipe shape = tobacco type matrix?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Nello there - new to the forum and returning to pipes after a 30 year hiatus. When I smoked before I had 1 pipe and 1 tobacco. I plan on having 4 pipes to cover aromatics, virginias, VaPers, and latakias. Am I grouping these correctly? I also want to cover straight, curved, 1/2 bend, and full bend shapes.
My question is, are some shapes better suited for some types? I have already discovered that I do not like english blends in my billiard - so that got me to thinking about shapes and blends. Please share what you think works best.
Also, I have a kaywoodie 01 on the way, what should I use it for?
Thanks for the help, you guys are great!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Everyone will have a different answer for you on this. There are really no stead fast rules. As soon as you find one rule, there is something just around the corner waiting to change your mind.
Do not get too hung up on dedicating pipes. If you're in the market for a new pipe, get something that calls to you and that you will want to smoke. With time you will find out which tobacco performs the best in it.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
All joking aside, everyone has an opinion on the matter. I've heard the following, on several occasions:
Wide, shallow bowls are nice for flake tobaccos.

Tall, slender bowls are good for Virginia/Va/Pers.

Corn cobs are perfect for sea captains and moonshiners.
However, more times than not, people agree: It's just a delicious journey; enjoy the ride, without concerning yourself about the destination.

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
Bowl geometry definitely affects flavor, but in all fairness it would be impossible to pontificate on which shape would be the perfect pipe for a particular tobacco, for your individual palate.
Finding a particular pipe that delivers a transcendental experience with a particular tobacco, is part of the wonderful journey of pipe smoking, and should be savored not rushed.
It is also the best excuse I can think of, for a pipe smoker to grow their pipe collection, beyond what most people in their right mind, would consider a reasonable number.
Your best bet as a new pipe smoker, would be to dedicate a particular pipe to a particular genre, and then try different blends from that genre in that individual pipe.
Also, if you start out smoking a specific pipe with Virginias or Burleys, and then later decide to switch to Latakia blends in that pipe, the transition will work. However, once you have smoked Latakia in a particular pipe, it will almost always retain a Latakia ghost, unless you go the extra mile to remove it. Keep that in mind when you buy a new pipe, and are contemplating which blends you want to break it in with.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I have a bit of latakia ghosting in my billard now. I guess it will fade over time?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm not one for tight regimentation. I like my pipe smoking to be uncomplicated, not fussy. I usually grab a pipe, look at my blends and pick one. It's purely a personal choice, works for me and others. Some of the members enjoy pairing pipes and blends, they enjoy the control the pipes and blends have over them. Me, not so much.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wide, shallow bowls are nice for flake tobaccos.
?? Never heard that one, quite the opposite. Virginia flakes do well in smaller bowls with conical chambers of the high and narrow type.
Wider chambers, such as pots, do well for complex blends like balkan/oriental, allowing the various components to open up while simmering in the chamber.
Nothing works well unless you know how to prep, pack, and sip. 25% equipment. 75% technique.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I have a bit of latakia ghosting in my billard now. I guess it will fade over time?
It's like trying to recover from one regrettable evening out: You can walk (almost) any funk off, given enough time... and alcohol. Some blends will cling for dear life, but you'd be surpised what a good cleaning and smoking a few fresh blends can do for recent ghost.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
?? Never heard that one, quite the opposite. Virginia flakes do well in smaller bowls with conical chambers of the high and narrow type.
Yup, sit 10 pipe smokers in a room and ask them a question, and you'll get 11 diffrent answers. However, I would listen to a pipe veteran over me; nothing trumps experience.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I choose my pipes depending on the amount of time I have, although I can see where people pair bowl sizes and blends. As far as shapes go, I'm not sure about that. If someone says a certain shape pipe smokes a blend better then I carve that same pipe into a different shape, I don't believe that blend will now taste different.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have found over time that my pipes got divided up without me being all that intentional, light pipes and small bowls seem to get used when out and about in public, with blends that do not have much latakia.

Bigger bowls/heavy pipes get used when sitting down at home for something latakia.
Isaac

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Virginia flakes do well in smaller bowls with conical chambers of the high and narrow type.

Yes, I have had this experience. The narrow tall bowl directs the heat into the flake better. Flakes seem to be a wee bit hard to take the initial light to me so the narrow bowl aids getting things going and staying lit.
Wider chambers, such as pots, do well for complex blends like balkan/oriental, allowing the various components to open up while simmering in the chamber.
I really find this to be true as well. I cant describe that any better.

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
Tall and narrow for Virginias, short and wide (square) bowls for Latakia blends. Conventional wisdom calls for narrow pipes for flakes. I find it like flakes best cube-cut and gravity fed into a wide-ish bowl. Keep your latakia and straight viriginia pipes separate. Beyond that, it's a free-for-all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like smaller bowls for Virginias and some flakes/plugs/ropes which can burn more slowly. Wider bowls, close to or above .8 inch, unfold complex blends nicely, those with four or more tobaccos. Deeper, more narrow bowls do wonderful things with single leaf burleys like Semois and some Va/Pers. But all of it is trial and error. Some pipes defy their stereotype and do great things with "other" tobaccos. So the "rules" can guide you in most cases, but a spirit of adventure is occasionally rewarded. The only pipes I would designate would be for blends noted for ghosting, which are few, mostly Lakeland blends. Some folks designate Latakia pipes, but that's beyond my taste sensitivities. I've never said to myself, damn, this pipe still tastes like Lat! If you have, designate some Lat pipes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The only pipes I would designate would be for blends noted for ghosting, which are few, mostly Lakeland blends.
Step 1: Smoke Lakeland in pipe and clean up resulting emesis.
Step 2: Fling pipe as far as possible from anywhere you want to be again.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
You mentioned that a certain tobacco didn't do well in your billiard.

It could do well in another. It could be depending on the briar. I don't think the shape made the tobacco taste bad.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I honestly think the issue was the counter blend. I bought some Frog Morton Cellar and it did pretty good. I still think it might do better in a different pipe. At least I won't have to worry about ghosting.
So, what would be a good one to try in my kaywoodie 01?

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
If I am not mistaken, the 01 is a Yachtsman shape. I believe I would start out with some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, if for no other reason, than good mojo. With a Virginia perique ghost, you could go in just about any direction you want other than Lakeland.

Status
Not open for further replies.