PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
The more I have deepened my knowledge of pipes and pipe tobacco, the more I see and read the love and fascination of Penzance. I have email alerts ready, but even that is not a guarantee that I will ever snag it that way.
Till that wonderful day comes, is there a Penzance equivalent. I realize and respect that all tobaccos, while having some similarities, are their own. I do not anticipate having a perfect comparison to Penzance, but I thought I would ask if there was another tobacco that could at least tease me for what is to come.
Thanks!
:puffpipe:

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Penzance is its own creature. There is nothing exactly like it. If I ran out of Penzance I would be quite sad, but could get by with German s Special Latakia Flake and GLP Quiet Nights.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Another option would be Cornell & Diehl - Star of the East Flake. I find Penzance to have a smoother feel (both in hand and in smoke) than the Start of the East Flake, but similar flavor profiles.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I agree with Star of the East being similar. It's not the same, but it's close and good.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Ten to Midnight, close enough for me and readily available. The pursuit of the elusive can be a bit of fun but there are many I would rather smoke. I will purchase a tin or two when it's available for the retail price, it's often a case of the chase is better than the catch.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Go to the library and get the oldest, mustiest book you can find. Take a few pages and cube cut them. Mix them with some fresh loamy garden soil. Add a few dashes of liquid smoke. Let that mixture marry for about a week or a month. Then put that in your pipe and smoke it. Should be just about right.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Penzance is overrated garbage. The only people who smoke that trash are egotistical douche nozzles... like myself. I've yet to find anything "Penzance-like". No, I'm not saying there aren't any other good tobaccos, but when I'm craving Penzance there simply aren't any to replace it. This is one reason it's hoarded.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Quit looking for it a long time ago when my source on this elusive creature and Stonehaven dried up and went away.
I am living happily ever after.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
PM and I'll send ya a good size sample of Penzance... Warning, the Penzance I'll be sending you has 5 yrs age on it, I actually prefer the fresh Penzance but it seems most prefer their Penzance with age on it.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I'm with Chasingembers, lancers Slices is very close, I would LOVE to taste some Lancers that has been aged 5 years!!

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
While the tin note of Special Latakia Flake is right on the nose for Penzance, the smoke misses the mark a bit.

Another suggestion where the tin note is nothing like Penzance, but the smoking experience is just about there is Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
I would love that, hawky454! Just PM'd you.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll have to try some of your suggestions.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Several of my associates swear that GLPs Quiet Nights is equal to, and/or better than Penzance and in the same spirit... but better and available. I've never had Penzance myself, but I can testify that GLPs Quiet Nights is a sacred, superior, transcendental smoke for me every time!

:puffy:

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
I may have messed up somewhere, hawky454. I clicked the "Send Private Message" link below your avatar and sent the message that way. If there is another I should do it let me know.
Thanks again!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Got your PM... I had to check my personal email to retrieve your message. I'll have your Penzance off via FedEx this Friday, I hope it lives up to your expectations! Let us know what ya think.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Oh and as far as Penzance equivalents??? I just got an email from Smokers Haven saying that they will have a lil something special at the up coming pipe show... I decided to check out their page and I saw they have a spot listed for Krumble Kake It's currently sold out but I think this may be a good sign that it's coming back on the market, of course it will probably be sold out for the first few runs but I'm thinking it may return as a mainstay. This excites me, as I have not had the pleasure of trying this one but have heard amazing things! For those of you who don't know, I believe Penzance was modeled after Krumble Kake I can't remember where I heard that and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong (Maybe I heard that on the one and only; Pipes Magazine Radio Show with Premal Chedda as a guest?). I think the only thing that separates the two is the content of the Latakia and are otherwise identical, Krumble Kake being the milder of the two (meaning slightly less Latakia). Here is the link:Smokers Haven
Just noticed the have Our Best Blend up as well! I've been eyeing this site for a long time now and I have never seen these two blends offered. Let's hope I'm not jumping the gun.

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
The Magical Alchemist GLP has touched on the subject :
I was on the original panel of tasters choosing the blends and making suggestions. Penzance is not identical to Krumble Kake by Smoker's Haven, but it's very close. Penzance has a little more Latakia. If you can get KK, it's not likely to disappoint, but since they are both manufactured by Germain, the supply issues are not likely to be any less challenging.
source http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/archive/index.php/t-3710.html

Status
Not open for further replies.