Is There A Foreseeable End To Your Collection?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I hope this is a new kind of question. When I started collecting pipes, I had a certain idea of what pipes I wanted in my collection, then the pursuit would end and I could concentrate on experimenting with tobacco. Now, with the acquisition of a Peterson Rosslare 107 billiard, I only require a black Prince churchwarden and a good prince. Then I should have the sum of what I need and want. I might pick up another pipe that catches my fancy from time to time, but right now I've gathered the bulk of my collection.
What about you? Do you see an end, or does the hobby go on for you, collecting until you own a few hundred pipes with no end in sight?

002-029-21560-1.jpg

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I don't know. I've recently hit a quest for any and all nice (and maybe cheap if possible) English-made bulldogs, so we'll see. I have finally gotten to a point where all the pipes in my collection are pipes I don't think I could consider selling. So I've hit my first milestone! :)

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I don't see myself ever passing by the glass showcases without looking. I don't look as hard as I used to, but I'm always searching for a treasure.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
There is room for precisely one more, and clickklick claimed the spot.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
After selling off a couple of pipes recently that I didn't smoked anymore or very rarely I bought 3 more pipes to replace them. My collection is at the point where I won't sell off any of the pipes I currently own. At least not for the for-see-able future, so my collection is at a good resting point. I say resting because I will always be on the lookout for the next new pipe. That Peterson is an excellent looking pipe. Maybe that will be the next one. :puffy:

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I've been smoking pipes for less than a year, and already collected over 20 something pipes. You always began by telling yourself that you only need a few to build up a rotation, but then switched to "just one or two more to complete this set", and then "a few more to fill this pipe rack", and then "another one to form a contrast with another pipe" and so on and so forth. In the end, it's never enough.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I suppose I'll never completely stop acquiring, but I'm trying to currently limit my collection. My self-imposed limit was 70, which has been slightly eclipsed. I enjoy buying some pipes to restore and resell, but lately, I haven't been selling those pieces. Those pipes are added to my lower rack and for now, unsmoked. Bought as dirty estates, I won't lose money on them and time is only on my side, no matter what Irma and Mick sang. I can't simply rotate thru more than 70 pipes in any reasonable amount of time. I still have a few "Holy Grail" pieces missing on my list, but my purchases have been much more selective in the past two years. Last year,I bought 42 pipes and retained 24. I probably sold another dozen, in an attempt to keep the status quo.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Damn pipe makers keep making the things. I have to do my part to keep the cycle going. 109 at present.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
I thought that at a 40 year high of somewhere north of 100 collectable pipes, half of them Barling's, that I had reached the acceptable rotation point. Then a close friend with 1500 pipes observed that I really needed another 100 or so to even things out.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I can see my collection growing slower over time. Its a natural progression for me and anything I might collect. I don't see myself quitting the pipe, but I do see fewer pipes over time. I like to still find the estate treasure, but buying new pipes is rare. I also know my financial "ouch" point right now as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.