PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I recently found out what my great grand father smoked in his pipe. With this information I took to ebay and found a tin for sale. The tin looks in great shape. No rust, seal never broken, and full. The tin however is about 40 years old. I am aware that because the tobacco has aged it will not be the same when my great gran grandfather smoked it but I think it would be a great experience if the tobacco is still good. However this is the risk I am talking about. The tobacco may not be good by that I mean dried out and moldy. Is the risk worth taking? To top it off I have one of his pipes.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I am still new to aged tobacco except having had some well aged cigars. That said, I have been trying to read up, do some homework and have been sampling all the aged baccy I can get. From what I can gather a 40 year old tin will be a risk. If it is truly sealed then I'm sure the tobacco will be fine to smoke. It may have passed its best days though and therefore may not be benefiting from that age the way one would hope. Still, if it's mainly for nostalgia and experience then I don't think it's a bad bet. Some of those with more experience may have a different take.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I agree with Gigger, you can't rely on the tin being smoke-able. I'd give it a 20%-30% chance. I've bought tins of coffin dust that weren't near that old. :cry:

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Acquiring the tin is acquiring a momentum of your grandfather. If the tin is is good shape and the seal has not been cracked one would assume the tobacco to be aged and good. This would be different if the tin's seal has lost its integrity. I guess one way to check the seal would be to open it or go to the extreme and submerge it in water and check for bubbles, however, like I said that would be extreme and you would need to dry the tin thoroughly to prevent the formation of rust.
But that being said isn't the memories that the tin brings worth so much more than a tin of tobacco. If they still make it (even a replacement) buy a fresh one to smoke and keep that one in honor of your grandfather. Leave the tin and his pipe together in front of a framed photo of him.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Some of the more reputable aged tin sellers are skilled at inspecting tins for signs of compromise, and specify their findings on the description of the item for sale. A solid report would be a tilt in the direction of buying the tin.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Some of the more reputable aged tin sellers are skilled at inspecting tins for signs of compromise, and specify their findings on the description of the item for sale. A solid report would be a tilt in the direction of buying the tin.
This is good advice. Ask the seller about rust, pinholes, and other signs the seal may have been broken. If I felt with good confidence it was still sealed I would buy it if it wanted it. However, if the seal has been broken the tobacco will be dust.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
If the kids all have shoes and the mortgage is paid, then it might be fun to try.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I think Planetary and BoilerMakerAndy are onto something there. Get a full report and make your decision after. Depending on who you are 80 clams can be a chunk of change.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Leave the tin and his pipe together in front of a framed photo of him.
The price is relative, but I would buy it as a keepsake rather than with the intention of smoking it.
I'm currently smoking some 26 year old tobacco that was recently discovered in an old cigar rolling company, and although it was not properly stored it smokes very smooth. It is much paler and a bit yellowish green as apposed to the deep brown color it originally had. I'm positive it's much flatter tasting than it was so many years ago as well. But is it a worthy smoke? You bet it is!

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Was your great grandfather a man of means, or a hard working commoner?? If your grandfather was a man who would have smoked whatever he could find cheapest at the corner store, it might be insulting to his memory to pay $80 for a tin of old tobacco. He'd probably consider it supreme silliness.
Be aware also, that many of the popular discontinued blends of old have "match blends" readily available, that you can be assured are smokable.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've smoked more aged tobacco than I care

To recall. 40 years does carry a risk. When it's

In good shape, it can be magical. When it's

Not, it's dissapointing. If the money is fun

Money,given the particulars. Why not? You

Don't name the blend. Some types of blends

And tins do better than others. I recently

Bought 2 7 oz cans of Mac Baren Va#1 from

The 70s And 80s. Both were (are) in great

Shape. Good luck !

Mike S

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
The seller basically said the tin looks damn near perfect and the seal is definitely not broken he us also 100 percent positive feedback with almost 500 sold items. I might pull the plug and do it. I did find a "copy cat" blend so I will go that route as well. Also found a sample pouch which is far less cheaper. I do not have any financial troubles at the time and my wife us ok with me buying it. I have some expendable cash I just worried about being disappointed. I like the idea of getting the tin as a keepsake but I like the idea of smoking it better.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
The seller basically said the tin looks damn near perfect and the seal is definitely not broken he also has 100 percent positive feedback with almost 500 sold items. I might pull the plug and do it. I did find a "copy cat" blend so I will go that route as well. Also found a sample pouch which is far less cheaper. I do not have any financial troubles at the time and my wife us ok with me buying it. I have some expendable cash I just worried about being disappointed. I like the idea of getting the tin as a keepsake but I like the idea of smoking it better.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I would personally would absolutely go for it - i've got some old tobaccos that are dried up completely but I still keep them in jars, to collect rather than smoke - but I've read on articles that even old dingy tobacco can be brought back to life with patience

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Aside from all of the guilt laden pseudo psychological crap replies, the simple question is whether the tobacco will be worth the money asked. You won't know until you pop the top. What does $80 mean to you. If it means a lot then you might want to consider spending it somewhere else.
A 30+ year old tin is a roll of the dice. Some tobaccos age well, other don't. Even if the tin is solid, the contents may not have been of the highest quality to begin with. If the memory of your grandfather smoking this mixture has a lot of meaning and value to you then make your decision based on that, whether or not you open the can.
All this poop about insulting his memory is just that, poop. What you grandfather would think of you spending extra money is an unknown. He might be impressed that you're successful enough to have a bit of fun money. He might not. He might not care one way or another as he's passed on. You could hold a seance to find out.
To me, spending $80 on something that gives me pleasure or has personal value is not a lot of money. I can spend that on dinner for two, and 12 hours later it's on its way to the sewage processing plant. Spending it on something that offers longer enjoyment or personal satisfaction seems a good move.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If it's the Edgeworth Sliced tin mentioned, you might think twice. As far as I'm aware, the old tins weren't actually sealed the way modern tins are. They used cellophane on the small tins, but there appears to just be a strip of tape on the tin you're looking at. So it's "sealed," but probably not in the least air-tight.
If you're really interested in Edgeworth, they made it up until a few years ago. The newer, modern tins pop up now and again on ebay. Usually, they sell for $40-80 and you can be fairly confident the tobacco is still fresh.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
They look like this:
_57-600x450.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealed-tin-of-Edgeworth-Sliced-1990-039-s-/231265758869?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Status
Not open for further replies.