PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
At this time when I smoke my pipe I have a long and very enjoyable smoke. Cool, slow, last for quite a long time. And I'm starting to smell my tobacco and enjoy the smell. With each smoke I can feel and enjoy it more and more. Taste however is an entirely different story. I can't I taste it. I might get a very slight feeling of taste and that’s it. Am I expecting too much from the taste experience of smoking? Could it be that’s that is all there is to taste? Or will it grow better and stronger with time is the smell did?

Btw I can feel some taste on my mustache, lol, but usually that’s about it

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
There isn’t much to choose for where I live. (at least I didn't find yet). So I smoke Captian Black. I have smoked Captian Black Royal (blue pack), white colored pack(which I think is regular) and light blue color pack which is lite CB.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No, taste is not overrated. However, people's sensory equipment and experiences are very different from one individual to another.

So if you are an olfactory (smell) person, that's fine. Just don't assume that others are delusional when they talk about enjoying taste.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Taste isn't overrated, but it isn't the whole equation either. I get more of the flavors by exhaling through my nose, particularly when it comes to Virginias and that "citrus" note. I also smoke exclusively outdoors, so the "room note" or smell from the fog of smoke surrounding me aren't part of the taste equation. English blends, Balkan blends, and Latakia bombs have a much more pungent flavor profile. It you aren't tasting those, you're probably dead.
You're smoking Captain Black, which is a mild aromatic blend, with a vanilla flavoring, at least the White is. The flavor isn't meant to bowl you over, just to provide a slightly sweet pleasant experience. If you are looking for more ooomph, there are a lot of blends that you can buy from on line suppliers like the sponsors of this site.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I smoked Captain Black for years and as others have said, it is very mild. Once you smoke a higher quality aromatic you will find it's like you've been eating Big Macs all this time when you could have had char broiled steak.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Low-end blends like Captain Black are not going to get you the full pipe smoking experience. Unless you are fortunate to have a top-notch B&M nearby,you need to mail-order, as gigger pointed out. There's lots better blends out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.